Concert

(Author’s note: Okay, so there may be a bill passed called SOPA that will blacklist any websites that don’t meet specific copyright criteria. If this happens, I may no longer have access to this site. If so then you can e-mail me at scarletnight72@yahoo.com , and I will tell you how this story ends. Hopefully this won’t happen, but if it does, I don’t want to leave any of you hanging. <3 the readers!!)

When I got back to Hogwarts, Kayla and Damon were waiting for me on the couch. Kayla stood and pulled me down between them, wrapping an arm around me. “Hey hon.”

                “Aren’t you two supposed to be in class?”

                “We skipped,” Damon said simply. “We got the elves to make you a double bacon cheeseburger.”

                I took the offered food, biting down and trying to concentrate on the heavenly taste verses the swirl of emotions in my head.

                “You wanna watch some cartoons?” He asked (juvenile or not, I always watched cartoons when I was sad). “Phineas and Ferb is on.”

                I shook my head. “Too inspirational. What else ya got?”

                “SpongeBob or Adventure Time with Finn and Jake.”

                “Which Sponge is it?”

                “The one where he slacks off on his essay.”

                “Adventure Time.”

                That was how Remus found me two hours later—I’d progressed to the ice-cream faze by then, still watching cartoons.

                Remus made no comment on Kayla or Damon’s absences from class; neither did Sirius when he finally came in. Both men watched  me for a while. Remus cleared his throat. “Tonks told me about what you did today.”

                I globbed a large spoonful of creamy goodness into my mouth in response. Forgive me if I was feeling a bit too angsty to talk.

                “As did Arthur and Kingsley.”

                Swallow. Insert glob.

                “They all seemed very proud of you.”

                Nother glob.

                “But not as proud of you as I am.”

                I slowly lowered my spoon, looking up at him. He wore a sad smile, but his eyes did in fact look proud. Sirius was nodding by his side. To heck with my angst. I shoved the ice-cream into Kayla’s arms, and jumped up, launching myself at the older werewolf. He caught me easily, holding me tight in his arms.

                “So you’re not mad that I’m drawing all this attention to myself?” I murmured into his chest.

                He shook his head, pulling me closer. “Your plan wasn’t dangerous, and was well-executed. All you’re asking to do is show the world how amazing you are; how can I fault you for that? I’m very proud Rika. You’re proving that no matter what laws the Ministry passes, they can never control your heart.”

                Blinking back the water in my eyes, I nodded, and glanced up at Sirius. He nodded, looking oddly solemn. “Remus is right Rika. If you don’t let them change who you are, you’re still the winner.”