Red heads, and a Sirius surprise

Remus’s house was nice. A little on the small side but comfortable. Downstairs was a kitchen, a living room, and what I assume used to be a dining room till Remus crammed it with shelves of worn books and papers. Upstairs was a bathroom and two bedrooms.

After a luxurious shower (anything with hot water was luxurious after the cold hose water I used at Malfoy’s) , I was seated beside Remus on his old couch, eating soup out of a can. He’d lent me a change of his clothes for the time being.

The mental image made me giggle. Baggy clothes and soup out of a can. I must look like a stereotypical tv hobo.

Remus raised an eyebrow at my giggling, then sighed, stirring his soup uncomfortably.

“…Look..um..I don’t plan to make you my slave or pet or anything..but you are living in my house, so I would like to lay down a few ground rules..”

I nodded.

“No problem.”

He looked relieved at my easy compliance. Had he really been expecting me to put up a fight? Well I was a teenage girl, and we are prone to overreacting….

“If you want to bring someone over to the house, warn me first. If you bring home a guy…well..I would appreciate it if you didn’t take him to your room….”

Oh so that’s why he looked uncomfortable.

“Don’t worry, I’m not that kind of girl. And even if I was, I’d make it so you didn’t realize I was.”

His lips twitched into a smile.

“You do realize you just discredited your first statement right.”

“Yup.” Munch. Mmm…These spaghettio’s are pretty good.

“You don’t have a curfew, but I would like for you to call me if you plan to be out past midnight.” (author’s note: I realize that wizards don’t have phones but in my fic they do. Just pretend they’re maaaagic phones lol. No bad contracts and no dropped calls :).)

I nodded.

“As I said, you’re not here to be my slave, but if you could pick up after yourself that would be nice.”

“So basically don’t do anything that’s obviously rude?”

“Pretty much.”

“I can live with that.”

We went back to our soup. The silence was a bit uncomfortable, but I wasn’t sure how to break it.

After a while the silence got too much for Lupin.

“What exactly have you been doing for the last ten years…I never thought I’d see you again.”

“I ran away from the pack. Lived on the streets for a while. Lied about my age to get a job. Got a cheap apartment, a couple of good friends, and a decent life. Acquired one not so good friend who betrayed me. The Ministry found me, tried to enslave me, yadda, yadda, and now I’m stuck with some weird guy. Don’t tell anyone, but I think he may be a werewolf.”

He chuckled. “A werewolf huh? I hear those are pretty dangerous.”

“Oh right you are sir! Why they’ll plunder your village and eat all your babies!”

“Is this before or after they bite everyone in sight?”

“In between. They get bored and plunder, then hungry. Once they’re full and in a better mood, they go back to biting.”

“Well I’d definitely watch out for this crazy werewolf bloke you mentioned. I'd hate for anything to happen to a young girl like you.”

“It’s okay, I can take him.”