The New Beginning

'This is not my bed.'

That, was the first thought that went through my head as I awoke from my unconscious state of slumber.

The bed in question was fine. The bed was soft, warm, heck it even smelled nice; but it wasn't my bed. I didn't even try to open my eyes as I tried to process the situation. I laid in bed and felt around me for any sense of similarity. The reason I know it's not my bed is because my bed is a queen size bed, in my eighteen-year-old body I fit perfectly in it. There's room to move around if I want in my own bed; however, this bed is far too small and I can feel the difference. The fact that I can touch the wall with my foot and my hand dangles down the other side while a stretch means it's not my bed. And I don't place my bed against the wall.

I took in a deep breath and fluttered my eyes open. My sight, which was adjusting to the sunlight coming in from a window, was greeted by a very light pink ceiling. My room has never been pink whatever shade it may be, my sister's yes, but never mine. I took in another deep breath and slowly traveled my eyes around the room. I found the bed I was on was pushed towards the wall, the bottom part of the bed stopped right underneath the bottom of a window.

The half of the window closest to me was shaded by the pastel pink curtain that draped it, while the other half of the curtain was tied back letting in the sunlight. I turned my head and noticed a table on the floor in the middle of the room not too far away, as well as the table to my left, beside the bed that held a lamp and clock. It was eight o'clock in the morning according to the clock.

Beside the bedside table there was an empty space, then a big drawer with five handles in the middle. After the drawer there was a dip in the wall to form a nook around another window. There was a comfy sofa surrounding the nook, most likely a tiny reading nook.

The rooms square shape turned and on the wall there was a desk and then space for another five layered drawers. There was a door next which I presumed led to the rest of the house.

As the room turned again to the final wall, there were two rooms one which had no door, I presumed was a walk in closet, then the final door must lead to a bathroom or connects to another room. In the middle of the two doors was a full length mirror that could probably be about five feet in height and two or three in length. As much as the room was nice and spacious, again it wasn't mine.

And that wasn't all to panic over. I had these red flag like feelings that something else wasn't right. I closed my eyes, tending to concentrate better this way. The first conscious thought was that I could feel my hair down, which I don't usually sleep with it down. I have really long hair, so it tends to get tangled because it's wavy. Usually I braid it and sleep that way, it's just more manageable that way to me.

So besides my hair, the next was the incredibly light way my body felt. I sat up, my sight dead set on the mirror across the room. I closed my eyes again, feeling really anxious to see what I would discover. I swung my legs to the side of the bed, incredibly conscious of feeling that lightness to my body. I jumped out of bed and had to balance myself for a moment as I landed later than predicted.

As I made my way to the mirror, that foreboding feeling came strong along with the fluttering of those anxious feelings. Walking across the room, all the furniture was bigger than I expected.

When my hands finally touched the cool surface of the glass I immediately knew something was terribly wrong without even looking. I, am proud to say that I am very observant to the things around me, to the people and most definitely myself. To the feel of my body, to the pressure on my hands against the mirror, to the brush of my hair on my back, to the crinkle of my toes...something was terribly wrong. I took two deep breathes and counted to three before I allowed my eyes to reopen.