Chapter 30

Amy Farrington:

In all the commotion, I lost Niall. I cannot believe he was gone. We weren’t done talking. I didn’t even pay him. Why would he just leave like that? It makes no sense. I asked Connor to give me a moment so that I could pay him, but the real reason was because I wanted to find him and finish our conversation.

Multiple people kept stopping me to congratulate me, and I was happy for it, but I didn’t want to be stopped at the moment. The only thing I had in mind was finding Niall, which in some ways, makes no sense at all. I just got engaged I should be thinking about that. I shouldn’t want to be thinking about anything else beside that, but here I am thinking about Niall. Suddenly a man came running towards me. I wasn’t sure what he wanted and I was hoping that he was just going to congratulate me as well, because I didn’t feel like dealing with anything else.

“Hi!” he said enthusiastically, although he was a bit out of breath.

“Hello?”

“Umm I saw you and your boyfriend early and I took some pictures cause you guys looked amazing together and yeah I’m a photographer. I thought you might like one. The rest I’m going to use for work, if you don’t mind of course.” He said rather quickly.

“Oh yeah that’s fine, thank you.” I said as I grabbed the Polaroid thinking it was Connor and I. When I looked at it I couldn’t help but smile. He’s just one of the many people that thought that Niall and I were together. I was about to thank him again, but when I looked up he was gone. Just then, Connor called me over to him, and that was the end of the unsuccessful search for Niall.

** ** **

“Amy, we’re so glad you finally made it. I was beginning to think that we needed to send a search team after you.” James mentioned as Marina was blabbering on about how excited she was that we were finally engaged.

“You know, he isn’t kidding, he and my mom would mention it to me every two hours.”

“Well it’s nice to know that at least your dad was worried enough to want to send a search team.”

“Baby, I agreed with them too, but I knew it wasn’t necessary. Although, if you weren’t here by tonight, I would have gotten into the car and looked for you. By the way, we need to get you a new phone. I couldn’t deal with not being able to call or text you whenever I pleased.”

“Yeah it was weird, wasn’t it? But you know, I don’t really need to buy it yet. It can wait until we go back home. I don’t have a need for it now since I'll be with you until we leave.”

“I guess you do have a point.”

Connor began talking to his parents about something in the other room and I was enjoying just sitting. While this is a family reunion, most of Connor’s family was already gone. Apparently, they left yesterday or the day before. Most of them didn’t have the luxury of being able to choose the length of their vacation, like Connor and his dad.

I really got lost in thoughts about Niall. I couldn’t figure out why he kept coming to mind. I wonder what he’s doing right now. Is he on his way back? Did he figure out how to get his car out of that hole we left it in? Would he remember me in the next couple of weeks? Would he fly to LA for my wedding, if I sent him an invitation? Probably not, but I still hoped he would. I already know that I’m going to miss seeing him. I’m going to miss hearing his voice and his beautiful laugh. I’m going to miss his need to contradict me in every sense possible. I’m just going to miss him in general.

The sad thing is that I don’t have any way to contact him. I have no phone number, although I’m not sure he even has one. He doesn’t have a cell phone since he said and I quote ‘I only had a phone in the event that my mum would call but she didn’t. I don’t need to talk to anyone so what’s the point of having a phone.’ The only phone I know of is the one in the pub and I don’t even have that number, he took the business card back from me.

I was pulled out of my thoughts suddenly. “Hey Amy… baby?”

“Yeah?” I said as I looked up.

“So I thought I should give you the big news now. You and I, we’re the new owners of the family business. Our fathers finally decided that we were right, and that the family business should really stay in the family. They thought it would be a bad idea, but I convinced them. All we need to do is sign some forms when we go home and we will be the proud owners of FF Industries.”

“Wait, what? Seriously! Oh my gosh! That is great news. Wow I cannot believe it!”

“Yeah, this is it. Our lives are starting off.”

** ** **

Always kiss like it’s the first and last time.

Why was this the last thought that came into mind? I was about to go to sleep, but now I can’t. Connor was still up and as I thought about it, I don’t think I’ve ever been kissed that way by him.

“Connor.”

“Yeah?”

“Kiss me.”

He did, but I didn’t feel anything. It wasn’t like when Niall kissed me.

“No, kiss me like it’s the first and last time.”

“What do you mean? Why would I do that?”

“Just do it.”

“Okay?” he said unsure of himself.

Again, he kissed me, but it wasn’t the same as it was when Niall kissed me. It was then that I realized that it was probably never going to be the same as when he kissed me. Nothing could compare to the way Niall kissed me. But how is that possible?

“How was that? Was it better?”

“Umm yeah,” I said as I lay down again and slowly drifted off to sleep.