My Greggie

Shelby's POV

I woke up with a smile on my face. I had a dream last night. It was of me and my family before Mammaw died, I was 10. We were at the creek. Greg and Blake kept throwing me in. I was swinging off the rope with Caden. All of my original gang was there. We ate popsicles and watermelon. We laughed all day. It was perfect. I feel like it was sent for me. I know all my boys are in Vietnam but I have faith God will bring them home to me. I can't lose that faith. I get out of bed and decide to cook breakfast. Then it happened....

A knock on the door got my attention. I opened the door to see my Uncle Jeff, Greg and Blake's dad. Jeff is just like his boys. Always has a smiled plastered on his face. But not now. I knew something was wrong.

"Jeff...what is it?" My stomach lurched. 

"Come sit with me." He said flatly and walked in. I closed the door after him and followed him. We sat on the couch beside each other. Jeff sighed and put his head back against the couch. Then he sat up and faced me.
"Shelby, somethings happened." He started.

"Oh no. Is it Papa? Layne? Landon? Aspyn? Jeff what's happened?" I said frantically.

"No. No Shelby. I can't say it again. Just read this." He handed me a letter. I turned it over and saw the United States seal on it.
"No. Jeff..."
"Shelby read it." He said sadly. I held my breath and opened the letter...

"To whom it may concern,

       It deeply saddens us to bring you this news. Gregery Allen Benham served his country well and gave the ultimate sacrifice. He died in the field of duty. Gregery is recieving the purple heart award. He sacrificed his life for another soldiers. Please know we are proud of him as you all should be. Our deepest regards.

                                                                                                            United States Army"

My hands shook. My head started spinning.

"This is an awful joke." I said.

"I wish it was."
"Jeff he can't be. He never got to live. Haley. They were gonna get married. He never got to live." I coudn't breath. Jeff grabbed me into a hug and I broke. I couldn't control my sobs and neither could he.
"My son. My first son. My baby boy. Gone forever." He cried.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." We sat there and cried till we couldn't cry anymore.

"The family is at the hotel. We talked to your professors. They gave us your homework for the week so you can come home for the funeral." Jeff said.

"Back to Stilwell?"

"Yeah. It's gonna be good to have you all back. Just wish it was different circumstances."
"Me too. Jeff I....I didn't get to tell him."
"Tell him what Min?"

"I'm pregnant."

"Pregnant?! Greg would be so excited." For the first time that day he smiled. I hugged him tight.
"Is Blake coming home?" I asked. Jeff's smile faded.
"Blake went crazy. The army put him in the hospital for his own safety. He was there when it happened. He watched his brother died. I'd go crazy too. They said when he's recovered they're gonna send him home for good."
"Oh Blake. Bless his heart."
"I know. Well I'll leave you to pack. Will you tell Haley? You two are friends."
"Yeah. I'll tell her when she gets off work. I'll see you in the morning." I hug him. He squeezes me tight and then he's gone.

I sit down where I was in the floor. I brought knees up to my chest and just sat there. I couldn't cry. I tried. It hurts too much. Memories of me and Greg flashed before my eyes. I heard his laugh. I saw his smile. I remembered back in school when I'd cheer him on during football games. All those summers at the creek and in the hayfield. Family get togethers. And my favorite times when we'd just talk. He always knew what to say to make me feel better. I'll never have that again. I wish people would get along so war didn't exist. Greg died over someone elses fued. War might protect us back at home but it kills those on the field.

My Greggie is gone......

~~

Sorry I was gone so long but here you go! Thank you guys for sticking with me. It is crazy to think I started this in 2013! I love you all! Fav/Comment/Share please!!

QUESTION: What is your favorite Greg moment?

P.S. Yes I almost started crying when I was writing this.