This is Just a Dream

Haley's POV

Today has been a long day. My professor's are overwhelming me with homework and it's almost time for finals. I'm just glad I'm home. I try to open the door but it's locked. Weird. Shelby never locks the door. I dig my keys out of my purse. 

"Shelby? Where are you?" She doesn't answer. I look around the house. I go to her room and her door is closed. I knock on it softly.

"Shelb?" Instead of an answer I hear a quiet sob. I slowly open the door. I see Shelby sitting on the edge of her bed wrapped in a black blanket and going through a shoebox. She had obviously been crying.
"Shelby what's wrong?" I go sit by her.
"These are pictures of me and the gang growing up. A lot of me, Greg, and Blake." She avoided my question.

"I know it sucks that they're gone. I miss them too but they'll be home soon." I comforted her and rubbed her back.

"Haley I....I'm so sorry."
"What?"

"Greg was shot. He saved another man. A man he barely knew. He was killed Hay. He's not coming back."
"No. No. He's coming back. We're engaged. We're gonna get married and start a life together."
"I'm so sorry." She hugged me tight. I couldn't do anything but hug her back. My world turned upside down. I couldn't comprehend what was happening. Greg can't be gone. He'll be back. This is a mistake. You see it in movies all the time. They say someone is dead but they show up and it's all a big misunderstanding.

"We need to pack. The funeral is in Stilwell later this week. Great way for you to meet the whole family."

"We'll pack later." It's all I could say.

"The gang is coming to help us soon."

"Blake. Does he know?"
"Yeah. He saw it happen. He's not doing good. They put him in a hospital for his own safety. He'll be home soon."

"Oh Blake."

"This blanket means the world to me." She smiled.
"Why?"

"Greg had it made for me when I graduated eigth grade." I looked at the corner she held up to me. Her name was embroidered on it and was circled by stars. The words Dream, Believe, Achieve  were also there. 
"I know it looks stupid but there's a meaning behind it. I always have a blanket with me. And Greg always had to remind me that if I can dream it I can achieve it as long as I believe it. He always told me that and I never believed him. When I graduated he gave me this and said "Here kid, maybe now I don't have to keep reminding ya." I'm so glad I have this. Now I'll always know. It can remind me when he can't."

"You two had such a special bond. I've never seen one like it."

"Thank you. I feel like half my soul was ripped out." 

"I can't imagine." I said.

"Come on. Let's go make cookies." Shelby said and grabbed my hands.

"Cookies? Now?"

"Can you think of anything else to make us feel better?" Yeah, Greg.
"No. I want chocolate chip."

I'll never get use to him being gone. There will always be a hole in my heart. One that no other man can fill. I'm just glad I had the pleasure of knowing him and loving him even if it was for a short time. He was the most amazing man I've ever met. He was loving, caring, protective, smart, and funny all in one. His lisp was the cutest thing I've ever heard in my life. I love him. I always will. I don't know if I can handle the funeral....

This is just a dream. It has to be.

~~~~

I'm back! Sorry about the wait. You can thank @stevierandle98 for the motivation. I know this is short but the next chapter is the funeral so it will be long and emotional. Sorry in advanced. I'm crying just thinking about it. Thank you all for reading and don't forget to check out my other works! Much love!! Fav/Comment/Share please.

QUESTION: What happened to Soda's horse?