The Spy

(Dayu's POV)

After looking more pleased, the Captain let go of my jaws and patted my hair gently. Then he nod at Mr.Shu and left.

Left me feeling confused, with my heart racing and a bit breathless. What is happening to me? Why is the Captain affecting me this way? He's an enemy!

Mr.Shu snapped his fingers and I look up at him.

"Follow me," he said then turn to the direction of the back door. He went out, turn left and stopped at a secluded place at the back of the kitchen building. People don't usually come to this place.

Still, Mr.Shu look around to make sure we are alone and no one is lurking behind any trees to hear our conversation.

"Stop flirting with the Captain," Mr.Shu said without any preamble.

My eyes grew huge again. Flirting? Who? Me? With the Captain?

"Uncle..."

"Remember your real purpose here Dayu. Getting distracted will not help you..."

I slip off my innocent mask. "Uncle Shu..."

"You are here to avenge what happened to your parents, remember?"

"I do!" I replied in an angry whisper. "You don't need to remind me of anything Uncle. I know why I am here!"

"Then act like it!" Uncle Shu retorted back. "Stop this flirtatious blushing and staring at the Captain with hearts in your eyes..."

"When did I stared at him like that?!" I angrily asked.

"Just now! Why do you think he smiled?"

"I was just acting..."

"Are you sure?" Uncle Shu sounded skeptical. "You can kill a thousand, no, make it a million people but that won't change the fact that they are some aspect of this life where you are an innocent, nephew of mine."

He stab my chest with his finger, "This, is a volatile part of you. Don't let this control you..."

I laugh humorlessly, "Are you saying...me with that bastard? Are you thinking that I am falling for his charm? If he has any?"

"You have never been in love, have you Dayu?" Uncle Shu asked.

I reeled back. Then nodded reluctanly. Love is a foreign concept for me. Family loyalty, camaraderie, those I am familiar with. But love, that I don't know.

"Of course you haven't. How will you find the time when I trained you early in life to take my place as "The Shadow","

My face turned grim. Nobody knew the identity of the infamous assasin. When my uncle deemed that I am ready, he passed me his title to use as a sort of smoke screen for our revenge plan. Everyone, including Captain Wang, thought that "The Shadow" kills for money and gain.

Uncle Shu stared at me gravely.

"Don't fall in love. Especially with our enemy. That would be a fatal mistake Dayu...history had proven that many times..."

"Uncle Shu, why would I fall in love with an enemy? I am not that foolish. Fine, I will be honest with you, the Captain is an attractive creature. But he is a Wang, his kind must not live. That, I know in my heart."

"Good!" Uncle Shu nodded. "Your father, my brother should be avenge. Your mother, my dear sister in law, should be avenge so that they can rest in peace and when we join them, we can proudly face them knowing we gave them justice for the unfair ways of their deaths. Remember why we are doing this,"

"I will never forget Uncle. I can't..."

My uncle's face turn sad and he patted my cheek affectionately. "I have failed your parents, I couldn't do anything to save them. I have failed you once, I didn't get to you on time to save you from those monks. That would be my biggest regret Dayu. But I will not fail you this time. I entered this job, ten years ago, to ready this place for your coming. We must succeed,"

"And we will," I replied in a cold emotionless tone. I am not in the present anymore, but in the past, with my hatred to everyone who made my life a living hell.

Uncle Shu patted my shoulder. Then he left me. Giving me the time and space to reminisce and collect all the painful memories to feed my hatred.

Uncle Shu was right. I should focus on the task on hand. He had sacrificed so much to get me here.

He trained me. Educate me. He gathered all the information about the officials who caused that raid, the reason why my father got killed and broke my mother.

He then went to this camp to serve as my spy. Telling me what he can about the men I am about to kill.

Aside from being my spy, he also gave me the list of those officials so I can kill them one painful way at a time.

That official in Nanjing, I poisoned his family cause they have to die with him. Just like how my family died that day. I drained his blood from his body cause that is the way my father died. All his blood, drained from him. Like a slaughtered pig.

That governor in Guangzhou, I also drained his blood. I strangled his concubine because she was a witness. I killed her first, putting the fear on those governor's eyes as he watched. Knowing he will die next.

Those soldiers in SiChuan, I slashed their bodies one at a time the way they slashed the bodies of the people in our town when they invaded our peaceful homes. I watch as life left their mangled bodies.

General Zong will face the same fate. I will also drain his blood and watch just as he watched my father die. And as for General Wang...

I have something special stored for him.

He is my favorite, after all...