Missing

(Qing's POV)

I craned my neck around. Left and right. I even twist my body. Elevate it to peer farther. Looking at every corner of the Chow Hall. Looking for someone.

My soldiers surrounding me at our regular table look at me like they are thinking of quitting and finding a new Captain or stand up and turn the whole place upside down so I will find Dayu and we can all start eating now.

I am exasperating them.

"Eat!" I told them while continuing with my search.

"How?" Mei asked me impatiently. "How can we eat when our Captain is acting like this? Please, come back to your senses! Dayu is obviously not here or you should have seen him already!"

"He is right Sir," a soldier sitting opposite to me agreed. Everyone grumbled their agreement.

I sighed and picked up my chopsticks and my bowl of rice, they happily followed my action. I scoop some rice and was about to raise it to my mouth when a helper walked behind me. I put down my food again, my soldiers who groan dismally did the same.

"Hey," I captured the helper's wrist but let it go quickly when he stopped. "Where is Dayu?"

"Helper Dayu?" the helper frown. "I don't know Sir. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him since the helpers woke up,"

"What?" my heart thudded. Is Dayu missing? Did he ran away again, for good this time?

"Hey!" the helper I asked shouted at his cohelper who is serving food at the other table. "Did you see Helper Dayu? I haven't seen him since this morning..."

"Why?" the other helper asked.

"Captain Wang is asking about him," the helper beside me replied.

Every eyes turn to me. My soldiers groan in shame and Mei lowered himself, trying to hide as much as he can without actually slipping under the table.

"Oh, you won't see him in the camp anymore. He was sent to the uniform bunk by Mr.Shu. As a punishment I guess,"

I frown. Uniform bunk. That is indeed a punishment. The uniform bunk is isolated from the rest of the camp. It is near a small fall and stream where the helpers wash the uniforms.

There, helpers also mend and sew salvagable uniforms. They also made new ones there. Then the new uniforms are delivered to the uniform office where officers pick them up, that's where Mei picked our stuffs and where Jiang cornered him.

But helpers in the uniform unit are isolated too. They practically live there. They sleep, eat and work there. Not having any interaction with the rest of the camp.

Dayu is in there, away from me.

Mei, finally losing his patience, took my bowl and chopsticks, placed them in my hand and urge me to eat.

"Now that you have your answer, please eat Captain. And please don't bother the poor helper anymore. It looks like Mr.Shu is punishing him by placing him in that place. And ensuring that there are distance between you. Please stop pushing Mr.Shu or he may dismiss the boy entirely,"

I glare at Mei. "And you won't still tell me what you both talk about while you were in the forest waiting to be rescued,"

"What is there to tell you? Dayu was not talking last night. I found him there, sitting and looking sad. I don't know what to tell him so I just sat there beside him until you found us,"

I got quiet when he said that Dayu was sad. I am a monster. Making a sweet boy like Dayu sad.

And now, he is placed away from me. Isolated in the uniform unit.

I have to see him. And nothing can stop me. Even an isolated uniform bunk.

Mei groan, "Whatever you are thinking. Please don't..."

"We are not patrolling tonight, right?" I asked him ignoring his pleading stares.

"Yes, but..."

"Good!" I stood up, eyes followed my movement, I somewhat became popular nowadays. But I ignored those stares and sat next to Jiang who had to push someone so there will be space for me.

I put an arm around his shoulder and whisper to his ear, "Remember when you broke my toy sword?"

Jiang almost choke, "That was ancient history Qing ah. And you said you forgave me already for that stupid prank,"

"Yes I forgave you but I still hadn't managed to forget. That was my favorite toy after all," I pout my lower lip like a pitiful child.

Jiang sighed, "What do you want?"

I grin, "Now you are asking the right questions! Are you on patrol tonight?"

"No," he shook his head. "Tonight is Wei's troop turn. Why?"

"Wonderful. Can you distract Mei for me? He is being a pain. I want him off my back for one night. Can you do that?"

Jiang grinned back, "Are you seriously giving me permission to snatch your second in command and molest him?"

I didn't actually said that. But if that is Jiang's take on "distract Mei" then so be it.

"Yes, distract him away," I patted his shoulder.

"Fine!" Jiang said and we shook hands. Then I stood up to casually walk to where Wei is sitting. I push the soldier eating beside Wei to sit there.

"You are on patrol duty tonight?" I casually whisper to him as I took a piece of dumpling from his plate.

"Yes, why?"

"Remember when I gave you my last parchment, you know, the lucky parchment when we had our entrance exam?"

Wei looked exhausted already, "Of course, how can I forget that when you keep reminding me everytime you want to ask a favor from me, even though that is just your reserved parchment,"

"It is still a lucky parchment because you got in. And now, with your hard work since you got in, you are a Captain. You owe it to that parchment, and to me, right?"

"If thinking like that will shut you up then fine. You are right," Wei continued eating.

"I need a favor. While you are patrolling, let's say you found me, I don't know, sneaking to the uniform unit. You will ignore me, right?"

Wei looked at me, "Who? I didn't see anybody. It was too dark to be sure. Happy now?"

I smile, satisfied, "And your troops?"

"It's dark Qing ah!" Wei angrily whispered. "If I didn't see nobody, how can they? I have the best eyesight in this group!"

"Right!" I love having wise friends. "Thank you," I patted his shoulder and left his table so he can continue eating. I smack the head of Wei's soldier that touched Dayu yesterday while passing.

If you are a Captain and you can't bully those lower than you then you better resign. You have to taught them how to bully the right way so when it's their turn to be Captain they will pass the lessons to their soldiers.

My plan was set. I just have to wait nightfall to see Dayu.

I can hardly wait.