Poison

(Qing's POV)

Dayu lost conciousness. He lay limply in my arms making it harder for me to carry him and run at the same time. I decided to hide behind a big tree to put him down first.

"Captain," a soldier stopped with us.

"Help me put him on my back," I said and the soldier nodded and obeyed.

Now this is easier. With Dayu on my back I ran faster, catching up with the rest until we saw the other patrolling team. They were surprised to see us.

Mei, my second in command, ran to me. "Captain, what happened?!"

"We were attacked. Someone ran ahead to get a doctor, a helper was injured..."

I saw a soldier ran. At least here, the arrows ceased to chased us. I ran determinedly to the base camp. My soldiers following me.

Inside the camp, a rope stretcher and a doctor welcomed us. We carefully put Dayu, face down, on the stretcher and two soldiers carried him to my cabin.

There I learned that things had gone from bad to worse.

"The arrow was poisoned,"

I was stunned at what the doctor said. "Poisoned?" my second in command was puzzled as well.

The doctor nodded, "I tried taking out as much poisoned blood as I can but I don't know how fast this poison can travel. We have to determine first what kind of poison was used and find out if there is an antidote to contrast it."

"How long will it takes to do that?"

"An hour or two..."

"Will he still be alive after an hour or two?!" I asked the doctor shaply.

"We will try our best to find out what kind of poison it is as fast as we can Captain,"

That didn't answer my question. Dayu is lying motionless on top of my bed. His back exposed and an ugly poison infested wound on his right shoulder.

"The good news is the wound is not that deep and no internal organ was damaged. Again, our only problem is to determine what poison it is to give him the right antidote," the doctor said.

"Well, do it faster!" I snapped at him. "Now!"

Luckily the doctor didn't take offense, instead he went out along with his assistant.

I walked closer to the bed. Looking down at the man who saved my life. Dayu took the poisoned arrow for me.

Mei broke my silence.

"Captain, shall we arrange soldiers to go back to the place where you were attacked. We will find out who did this..."

I nodded, "Tell them that the arrows are poisoned. They have to be careful,"

"Yes Sir," Mei hesitated, "Sir how about you..."

"I will stay here with him," I said referring to Dayu.

"Yes Sir," Mei bowed then leave to do as ordered.

I sat on the edge of the bed, looking at the unconcious boy lying there. Dayu is sweating, his breathing a little labored and when I touched him, his body is hot, the fever already started.

I don't know how long I stayed there, just sitting and sometimes wiping his sweat when the door opened again and the doctor entered.

"It's snake venom Sir, very common but quite deadly when not treated quickly. We have the antidote..."

I went out of the way as the doctor and his assistant administered the antidote.

"What will happen now?" I asked after they are done.

"Now we will wait and hope that his body will accept the antidote. Hope that it is not too late," the doctor answered.

The doctor left his assistant to monitor Dayu's condition with the strict instruction that if the patient showed any sign of distress to call him immediately.

I decided to wash and change my clothes. Absentmindedly splashing water on my face and torso then putting fresh tunic. I came back inside the cabin after I am done to sit on the edge of the bed again.

The vigil started.

All night, the doctor's assistant monitored Dayu's breathing and heartbeats. He will wipe his sweat and feel his temperature. That routine happened over and over again. Checking and checking while I just watch helplessly on the side.

By dawn, the assistant straightened and smile at me.

"His fever had broke Captain. He will be fine now. I will clean his wound again before I report to the doctor."

After cleaning Dayu's wound and putting fresh bandage on it, the assistant left the cabin. I touch Dayu's forehead, it still has sweat but it's cooler now. His breathing also got back to normal. Not that labored anymore.

I sighed in relief. He made it. He survived. And now I have a chance to repay him for saving my life...