Desk

(Qing's POV)

I am a bit diappointed that like others, Dayu had no real information to give to me about "The Shadow".

But that piece of rumor about a raid in the border in SiChuan is something I can look deeper into. Maybe I can find a lead on that piece of rumor.

A raid in a border in SiChuan, this is the first time I heard of something like that. During the War of Lands that just ended over a decade ago, many raiders and soldiers marched across the country to occupy lands. War of Lands, that lasted for six long decades, had been bloody. But ultimately, officials had finally sat down and settled for a peace treaty.

The divisions of land treaty had happened and for almost two decades now, peace had reigned between the provinces of China.

Could it be true? Is "The Shadow" not a mere mercenary but had a deeper reason for killing those officials? Revenge, perhaps?

I tap a finger on my desk as I contemplate.

I had nothing to go forward to but this piece of rumor. Might as well look into it.

I took a piece of parchment to write a message when I stopped. I critically eyed my desk. I felt a cold wind suddenly swirl around me. Did someone put a hand on my desk? Why do I feel like someone other than me get close to it?

But nothing look amiss. Everything are in their right place. I froze.

Everything are in their right place. It's too clean. Too perfect.

Someone goes through my desk! Look at my things.

Dayu? He slept here with me. Did he got curious and snoop on my desk?

I stood up and went to the door. I opened it, got out and almost bump Dayu who was about to knock on my door.

"Captain..."

"Did you go through the things on my desk?" I asked without any preamble.

He paled. Then shook his head. "Is there something missing Captain? I am no thief Sir! I didn't take anything..."

I got worried when I saw genuine fear in his eyes and tone as he continued to deny being a thief and taking anything.

I held on to his shoulder. "Dayu! I am not saying that you took something and you are a thief. I just want to know if you get near my desk last night or this morning."

He shook his head, eyes swimming with tears. "I didn't Captain. I wouldn't dare. I don't even know how to read and write Sir,"

I frowned, "You don't know how to read and write?"

Dayu nodded, "All I know is to read the names of places. At the temple, the monks had maps with names of places, I learned those. But they never taught me how to write,"

I nodded, "That's enough then. You don't have to be over excited..."

"I was accused of being a thief before," Dayu said. "I am not but the monks won't believe me and still gave me punishments,"

I frown, "What kind of punishments?"

He paled once again. Look down and fidget. "They would took us to the authorities and the officers there will..."

"Dayu..." I called his name when he hesitated.

"Lashes," he looked up and tried to smile. "But that was a long time ago. I am not really a thief. I am afraid that the gods won't look at me favorably if I steal..."

I pat his shoulder, "Nothing was really missing from my desk but I feel like someone go through it. Nothing missing on it makes it more suspicious,"

Dayu inclined his head he doesn't understand. I pat his shoulder again.

"Are you looking for me?"

"Ah yes, Captain. Captain Wei is looking for you to ask if you can meet him on the main office, he wants to discuss something with you..."

"I see...well I better go and meet him." I turn around to lock the door of my room before I thanked Dayu and left.

What am I thinking, suspecting an innocent boy like that? Dayu is clearly innocent.

But someone had gone through my desk, and I intend to know who it is.

I feel it in my gut. And my feelings had never been wrong. I always rely on my instinct to survive. I trust my instinct.

(Dayu's POV)

Stupid! Stupid!

I wanted to smash a rock on my head for making such an amateur mistake. A mistake that can get anyone killed.

Never underestimate your enemy.

I should have known better than to think that Captain Wang is an easy target. He became the youngest Captain in records because of his skills and prowess against any enemies.

I almost forgot that I am not dealing with a mere soldier. I am against a Captain. An intuitive Captain at that.

How did he knew that someone go through his desk? Did I made a mistake?

No! I was perfect last night. I left everything at their place exactly as how I saw them. All I did was took that paper and read it, then placed it back. Perfectly. How did Captain Wang get the idea that someone touched his things?

Dangerous. Captain Wang is a dangerous enemy. I should be more careful from now on.

Good thing I think fast on my feet. That "paling act" and "tearful" face are hard acts for me but the pressure pushed me to perform it. I am just not a hundred percent sure that Captain Wang bought it.

Is he suspecting me now? Maybe. Maybe not. I will know as the days passes. But for now, a disaster was averted.

I would never underestimate him again. I followed Captain Wang
with my eyes.

He's dangerous, I should always remember that.