Search

(Qing's POV)

After three months...

It took me a month to heal on that wound that Mei gave me on our last fight. Aside from the wound itself, I also had to overcome fever and infection.

But now I am fully healed.

I watch on the sideline as the governor of SiChuan, Governor Feng, with the aid of Counsel Jiang, Captain Jiang's father, presented the evidences against General Zong.

How the deceased general fought with the counsel to give him the gold he needed to build his military base. And when the counsel disapproved of his plan, General Zong deviced a new plan to get his gold.

By raiding remote villages from the different borders to aid landowners and Governors to rewrite the map of different provinces. Resulting to more war for lands. Resulting to thousands of people dying.

They also presented the original written agreements of General Zong to different counsel members, bribing them to pass his military funds to the counsel. And the continued exchange of money from the General to more counsel members.

"I am ashamed Your Grace," Counsel Jiang said in his speech, "To call these people my colleague when all along they are nothing more than gold greedy criminals who had nothing in their hearts but their desire to acquire more."

When it's Governor Feng on the stand to speak to the Emperor he humbly went to his knees first.

"I lost two brothers on those raids, Your Grace. I was imprisoned, my name tarnished and the people, your people, in the SiChuan province suffered. But more than my dirtied name, my heart bleeds for the brothers I have lost and the lost of your people. For years, I have patiently acquired these evidences to clean my name. But now that I am doing it, I don't feel any joy. I feel ashamed. That this is the only thing I can do. Clean my name. It's a tragedy that it's all I can accomplish. Not bringing my brothers back or those people whom we lost. I think I can endure a tarnished name and reputation as long I can be with my brothers again. But alas...they are lost to me forever..."

Many people witnessing the proceeding shed tears on that speech.

"What about General Wang?" The Emperor asked, "He was General Zong's second in command. Are you telling me that he had no idea about what his superior had done?"

Counsel Jiang stood up to answer, "Yes Your Grace. General Zong never trusted his second in command about all his ambitions and wrongdoings. Everyone here knew how stubborn and righteous General Wang is. His son, Captain Wang delivered us these evidences after his father committed suicide because of the shame he felt after discovering General Zong's evil works."

Half truths. That's what Governor Feng told me about what they will say in front of the Emperor and the counsel.

They will expose General Zong's evilness to the Emperor but they will spare my father and our name.

"This is Dayu's last gift to you," Governor Feng didn't felt the need to disguise his dislike on me. "I hope as a repayment, you will stop seeking my nephew. I have my eyes on you, Captain Wang. Bother my nephew again and I will personally destroy you and your whole family,"

After saying those threats, the governor snappishly turn around to leave. I watch his back. Asking the governor silently, why does he think I will listen to him? Or fear him and his threats?

After all that had happened, the only thing that could scare me is the thought that I will never see Dayu again. Nothing else...

That is my hell.