Sunrise

(Dayu's POV)

Dawn is getting closer. Sunrise is approaching.

I waited in the dark as the door of the cabin opened and Captain Wang entered.

The torches from the outside provided some light inside the dark cabin, I saw his eyes gazed upon me. He closed the door and walked towards me. I was sitting on the edge of the raised bed.

This bed..lots of memories happened in here. I was laid down here twice by poison and I forgot to count how many times we made love on top of this bed.

Captain Wang sat beside me and we let silence enveloped us.

I close my eyes when I felt his hand reaching out to held mine. He intertwined our fingers.

"General Zong's body was delivered to the Governor of SiChuan," he said as our hands remained inlaced together.

"Did you see him? The Governor?" I asked him.

"No. But I saw the helper that is always with Mr.Shu. He was wearing a uniform of a SiChuan soldier. I guess he was a spy too,"

"No," I replied. "He was a trainee of my Uncle. After training me, teaching had become something of an advocacy for my uncle. He always look for someone to teach."

"I see..." Captain Wang had gone silent after that. "Dayu I..."

"I can't forgive you. For killing my uncle, I should be...challenging you for a fight until I avenge him but I can't kill you. I know I can't..."

Captain Wang squeezed my hand firmly but without pain. His hand is so warm. Calloused from holding a sword for too long. Those hands that taught me to love touches. Held me when I feel sick or scared or lonely.

His hands that killed the man who raised me.

I put my other hand on top of our intertwined fingers.

"I can't kill you but I can't forgive you either. I think this is the end of the road for us Captain Wang..."

"Dayu ah..."

I shook my head. Glad that there is no light inside the room so he won't see the tears that formed in my eyes. The dark shadows are hiding me from him.

"I can't forgive you. I won't. So I will understand if you will not forgive me too." I stood up. He kept his hold on my hand. "Don't forgive me, Captain Wang."

"Dayu...?" He stood up as I push his hand away from mine. Our connection severed.

"I hope after today, you will forget about me. I will do my best to forget you. No! I will make sure that I will forget you..." I said in a tone laced with steel.

"I can't," I heard pain and tears in his voice but I ignored it. Everything will change when the sun rise from the East a few hours from now. "How can I forget..."

"That will not be my problem. Or my business any longer. Let's cut the ties we have after today. We knew the truth now. We are ill fated to meet. We shouldn't have met. We are not meant to meet each other. Let's end this fate today..."

"Dayu ah..." he tried reaching for me again but I took steps away from him.

Then I turn around and walk out of the cabin without another word.

Coward that I am. I couldn't even say the word goodbye to him.

(Qing's POV)

The sun peeked from the East. Shining soft light to the camp as soldiers of the military base lined themselves neatly in front of the General's building to wait the order to march out of the base.