Border in SiChuan

(Qing's POV)

It took me two days to find the right location of that "border in SiChuan" that has been raided sixteen summers ago.

I had to try three different locations first, until the fourth time proved to be the charmed.

Five villages, closely located together was raided on that fateful week. Hundreds of soldiers from Shaanxi province had raided those villages.

The question of why is not important anymore, sixteen years ago, the greedy War of Lands is still going. It will took another two summers after the raiding of those villages before the Treaty of Peace to be signed by the different leaders of provinces.

Two summers...the lost of these villages could have been avoided if they signed that treaty a bit faster.

But it happened and Qing is now standing at the now empty land, devoid of houses and villagers.

"Those raiders from Shaanxi are merciless. They pillaged those homes in the death of the night, and by morning, all had been burned."

That was the statement of one former occupant of one of those raided villages.

"They held red and gold banners, carrying with them fire and swords. Saying the border will be rewritten so the Shaanxi and SiChuan provinces will have a clearer borderline."

For a borderline? They killed people, burned homes and destroy lives for a clearer borderline?

I sighed. Look down at the pieces of parchments on my hand. These are my notes. Records of statements I have collected from the people who had an idea about what happened to the raids and who could be the officials involved.

So far...it is not looking good for me.

Like what Dayu told me about the rumor of the "shadow's" latest victims, they are all, at one point, involved in this particular raid.

The official from Nanjing was a former captain who actively participated in the raid.

The governor in Guangzhou was a former counselor that had a hand on approving the raid of those lands.

The soldiers in SiChuan, are members of the raiding troops from Shaanxi that transfered from Shaanxi to SiChuan, absorbed by that cruel leader.

And there are two other cases that was not reported because the victims are not officials.

A former executioner, who was found hanging from a tree without his lower body, slashed neatly.

And last, and this I am not sure if it's related, but a temple had been burned down with all the monks with it. They are all burned to their bones, the only identifying marks are the hard beads near the burned bodies.

Now who would pay "The Shadow" to kill and burn a whole bunch of monks? And a holy temple? I mean it was not proven yet that that monster did it but the telltale signs are all in place. And I have the feeling that "The Shadow" did burn those monks. But why?

This is not adding in my mind.

I look around the empty land again. This particular piece of land held the former village that has been raided by a troop led by that official in Nanjing.

I find it strange that there was a lot of troops led by their captains that raided those villages but this particular captain was singled out by "The Shadow". For that monster to track the former captain and kill him in cold blood,  with his whole family, does the reason behind that is still money?

And those soldiers? There are hundreds of soldiers that raided those villages but "The Shadow" killed that particular troop, that troop that also raided the village formerly existed where I am standing right now.

Coincidence? I don't think so. I never believe in coincidences. Things always happen for a reason. To have an effect, a cause was put into action first.

Something happened in the raid of this particular village, something involving "The Shadow". I flipped my notes and my jaw tightened. I read the names of two other officials involved on this raid.

General Zong and then former Coronel Wang...

The Master General and my father. They are involved in this raid too. To what capacity, that's what I have to find out.

But if Dayu's rumors are true, and evidences are saying it is, "The Shadow" is killing officials involved in this raid. That would mean...

The two generals are in grave danger.

(Dayu's POV)

"I think the captain will investigate the rumor you gave to him," Mei said as he watch me wash rags in the stream.

"Good. That's what I want him to do all along. I want him to discover, on his own, what kind of greedy monster his father is," I replied grimly.

I feel giddy inside. The Captain is used to calling "The Shadow" a monster. Once I am done with my revenge, I will unmask a real monster in front of him.

"You think he will turn his back on his father? They are blood Dayu,"

I snickered, "I don't care about their father and son tie. They will both die in my hands anyway, why should I waste my time on that,"

"C-can't you spare the Captain?" Mei's eyes rounded after he said that. "Dayu, forget..."

"I understand you cousin," I said as I continue with my work. "You spent time with the man. You form a camaraderie with him. Your lust for revenge is not as strong as mine. But I made a promise, Mei. All Wang blood should flow. By my hand..."

"I know," Mei replied subduedly.

I stared at my cousin, "Tell me, will we have a problem if I proceeded with my plan to end his life?"

Mei flinched but shook his head. He whispered, "Do what you have to do Dayu. Kill who you have to kill. My loyalty will remain yours forever, you know that. Heck, my life is forfeited to you. You own me,

In the same quiet tone I said, "I don't own you Mei, you are my cousin and I trust you. You know that, right?"

Mei nodded, "Trust me Dayu. I will never break my promise to you."

I grimly continued my job. The Captain is probably on that border now. Is he now standing in the same land where my father died, where my mother got broken and where my chance at a normal happy life ended?