Distraction

(Qing's POV)

Dark came.

Our contingent continued to walk the road to Hubei with torches lighting our way. With the Master General, General Liuwie and two coronels, Jiang and I together with our second in commands are riding horses as our troops walk behind us, banners in their hands.

We will not stop for camp for another two hours. We made a short stop during mid afternoon to clear a way when we encounter a fallen tree.

Before we left the base I told Jiang and Mei to be alert, not giving any particular reason why.

Jiang looked insulted, "Have I ever been not alert when we are on guard duty?" He asked, annoyed. "Mei, talk to your Captain, he is irritating me and we are about to get our swords, I might accidentally cut him," he added before leaving to check on his troop.

Mei sighed while watching Jiang walk away, "Captain, I think Captain Jiang is irritated at you,"

I winced and just nodded at my second in command. Mei gave me a faint smile, "I will be alert today Captain. Count on me,"

I pat his shoulder, my ever reliable second in command.

Now as darkness blind our way and shadows play around us, I stayed extra alert. I silently pat the neck of my horse, it too felt the tension on it's rider and I am making it feel agitated as me.

We are turning on a bent road when I heard the first swish of a metal slicing the air.

Then a black figure appear on the road before us.

My breath hitch, "The Shadow," I said as the figure raise a hand and another swish whistle as he threw something in the air. General Liuwie, sitting on his horse behind me got hit with something and fell down on his horse.

That signal for more figures in black to come out of the shadow and attack us.

I leap from my horse, shouting to my troops to form a defensive line. Jiang not far behind me.

"Protect the generals!" I shouted as I unsheath my sword and engage a figure dressed entirely in black with only his eyes exposed.

Assasins.

A battle commence. Metals clashes, blades glittering in the dark. I kick my opponent and ran to General Liuwei fallen figure. I took off his helmet to make sure if he is dead when light shone on his face.

This is not General Liuwie, but a common soldier. Someone rode his horse in stead of him and got killed.

"General Liuwie!" I shouted and I saw General Zong and a soldier with the coronels huddled close to a tree being protected by at least ten soldiers, protected.

I fisted my hands, General Liuwie, paranoid that he is, decided to wore a soldier's uniform and put someone else on his horse.

I stood up and swung my sword to someone coming at me, that black figure drop on the ground, dead.

Jiang, his second in command and Mei are also engaged in fighting. We are being attacked by at least a hundred shrouded figures.

I look around, then my eyes saw him. The first figure that blocked our path. I am sure, I feel it deep inside me, all my senses are screaming at me, I am finally seeing the infamous assasin they all call "The Shadow".

He did something I anticipated that he will do. He attacked us together with his cohorts, paid assasins like him.

He is fighting soldiers and trying to come closer to the protected generals. Mei, coming out of nowhere to stand on his path started fighting him.