Swords

(Jiang's POV)

I followed Qing outside the General's building and I saw what he saw when we get to the camp ground.

Mei hugging Dayu.

"Qing..." I called my friend's name as Qing ran to get to Dayu and Mei. "Qing!" I ran after him.

When he reached the two cousins, he pushed Mei off Dayu and put a hand on my lover's neck.

"How dare you put a hand on what's mine..." Qing's hand tighten on Mei's neck.

"Qing!" I put a hand on his arm holding Mei but Dayu put a dagger on Qing'a neck. "Let my cousin go," Dayu said in a dangerous tone.

As the word "cousin" processed in Qing's mind, his hold on Mei's neck loosen and I catch Mei, who is coughing while holding his neck, before he hits the ground.

"Mei!" I held him in my arms. Qing almost choked the life out of my lover.

I look up to see Qing looking at Dayu is shock as the latter still held a dagger on my friend's neck.

"Cousin?" Even Qing's tone is laced with disbelief.

(Qing's POV)

Mei is Dayu's cousin. That...that explains a lot.

Why Mei will not protest too much if I ask him to guard Dayu. Why Dayu felt comfortable with my second in command while he still can't look other soldiers directly in their eyes. Dayu avoided even Wei.

I thought it's because Dayu saw how much I trust Mei, so he decided to trust my second in command too. But I think the joke is on me.

Mei and Dayu are cousins.

Jiang's source inside Governor Feng's army, my friend's lover. And after I asked my father on his private talk with Dayu, I saw Dayu and Mei outside talking.

Dayu said they were talking about me but that is also a lie.

They have been making a fool out of me since the beginning.

How nice for them...

Well that won't change anything. Cousins or no cousins, Dayu will come with me. He promised that we will run away together, I intend for him to keep that promise.

I will not lose my father and Dayu at the same day.

No! I refuse to lose both my father and lover. My father is already gone. I will not lose Dayu too.

So I gave Dayu a hard glare and snatched his hand, the one holding the dagger and started to drag him.

"You!" I said, "Come with me..."

Dayu was so surprised that he didn't get to protest as I drag him.

But Mei is a different matter. From the corner of my right eye, I saw him push Jiang away and stride after us.

"Let Dayu go!" Mei said as he pulled his sword from it's sheath and using his other hand, pulled at Dayu's other arm.

That just snapped my control on my temper. I really don't need to hear protest or denial from anyone. Least of all Mei. He is just my second in command. He is still under my supervision. How dare him to oppose me?

"Let Dayu go!" Mei said again as we started a tug of war with Dayu as our rope.

"Mei!" Jiang took hold of Mei's shoulder. "Let Qing take Dayu..."

"Why?" Mei snarled at Jiang. "They are no longer lovers! He killed our uncle, he had no right to Dayu. I am Dayu's cousin! He will come with me!"

Mei pulled harder. Almost making me lose my hold on Dayu.

That's it! I had about enough!

I pulled out my own sword.

(Dayu's POV)

I moved fast as Captain Wang pulled his own sword out. I shook off Mei's hand because it is my sword hand. In a flash I pulled out my own sword and blocked Captain Wang's sword as it swung on Mei.

"No!" I shouted as I glare angrily at Captain Wang. "You have already killed my uncle. What made you think that I will let you hurt my cousin?!" I swung my sword to attack him.

Captain Wang blocked my sword. His eyes focused as I slash my sword left and right to attack him.

One more block and he caught my arm again. "You will not come with me peacefully? Then I will take you with me by force," Captain Wang said as he pulled my arm with the sword down hard, his strength showing as I stumbled and fall to the ground at his feet.

Mei moved. He pushed Captain Wang away from me and swung his sword from under upward to catch Captain Wang's uniform. Captain Wang jump two paces away to avoid Mei's sword then he countered by swinging his own blade to slash my cousin.

My arm hurt. Captain Wang almost broke it, but I couldn't let Mei fight Captain Wang alone. He is a defense specialist, Mei will stand no chance.

I stand and twist my hand on the hilt of my sword then ran to join the fight. As Captain Wang's sword slash to stab Mei, I meet that blade with my own blade, giving Mei a chance to step back and ready his stance to attack again.

Mei and I...no one can beat us when we are together. Mei and I...as long as we are together, we can do anything, beat anyone and win.

And we will prove that to our uncle by beating Captain Wang.

But the opponent is a defense specialist who is capable of defending himself against two enemies. As Mei and I moved like how we trained and practiced, Captain Wang also moved like he had fought two opponent at once before too.

Maybe Master Gao had trained him that way.

Mei produced his dagger, I brought out mine too. And we started a dance with our blades and daggers. Attaking Captain Wang nonstop. I will slash my sword to the right, Mei will appear on his left. My dagger will swing close to Captain Wang's head while Mei's sword will target his middle.

We attacked him like that until Mei and I managed to make Captain Wang moved from his spot and took some stepss backward.

A moving and retreating defense specialist meant he is having a hard time in a fight. Mei and I are giving him a hard time.

I signaled Mei. He nodded. We have practiced this move a lot of times. We didn't stop until we perfected it.

The move will consist of me moving to Captain Wang's left, distract him with fast slashes of my sword as Mei will move behind me to give him a fatal blow.

I moved my feet fast. Attacking and attacking, confident that I can hit Captain Wang as he said before. He can block my attacks but not all of it. Some of my moves can get him.

Mei moved to help me and together we moved fast, as fast as our feet and training taught us. It's like we can both hear Uncle Shu's voice urging us to go fast and faster until we saw an opening to kill our opponent.

I turn to my right and slash my blade that Captain Wang managed to block but I didn't worry, the blow will come from Mei who also turn right and swung his sword to cut Captain Wang.

Just for his blade to meet Jiang's blade as the other captain blocked Mei's sword and push it away.

And as a practiced move and Captain Jiang's muscle reflexes work, he followed that block with another swung of his sword and it slashed in the air.

And cut Mei.

"Mei!" I shouted as Mei staggered backward as his blood sprayed on the ground.