Flirting

(Qing's POV)

The little hardhead came off the bed the next day.

In just two days, Dayu lost his sweet boy demeanor. He is starting to show a different side of him. Stubborn, resistant and easily irritated.

Yesterday, his last day of confinement in the cabin before he insisted of coming out today to see Mr.Shu, his immediate boss, Dayu's words not mine, we danced around each other in the cabin.

I felt like he is just waiting for me to go out then he will try to sit up or stand up again. I once caught him walking around the cabin, flexing his wounded shoulder. His robe, too big for him cause it is mine, slipping from his thin shoulders, giving me glimpses of his thin but strudy body.

I saw marks there. On his body. Lashes, wound marks, scars. This boy's body took a beating. Based on those marks, Dayu had a hard life.

Nothing new from people who came from the SiChuan province.

That gets me thinking. How could a boy, who obviously led a hard life, be this innocent and sweet?

Is it an act? But those blushes. Those rounding of his eyes. The wonder in them, the fascination when he was presented with something new. Those felt real.

Dayu is either genuine or the greatest liar.

But why would he act? For whom? For what purpose?

Then there is the saving my life part. Is that also an act? He could have died on that poisoning. I don't think anyone will deliberately poison himself just for a lie.

And Dayu is still insisting that I don't need to repay his courageous act.

"I did it without thinking Captain," he said, a little bit sourly. "Me pushing you aside, I never thought that I will get shot, much more poisoned," he grimaced.

I nodded, "The good thing is you are well now. Are you certain that you don't feel dizzy anymore, even if you are standing."

Dayu nodded, "I think I can get out tomorrow to see Mr.Shu, I am sure he is mad at me now. Next time, I would rather scrub tables at the Chow Hall until my arms are numb rather than volunteer to join in patrolling,"

I laughed at his grumbling, "You learned a valuable lesson then,"

He gave me an annoyed look again. Then he will refuse to talk to me or even look at me.

Pouting. Dayu is prone to pout like a child when you laugh at him.

Today, he went out with me after waking up and changing our clothes. He folded my robe that I lent him neatly and put it on a weaved basket with the rest of my clothes that need to be washed.

Dayu put on his usual dark grey cotton tunic and pants, his working clothes.

He had a hard time tying his hair though, he can't lift his arm with his injured shoulder. I helped him with that amidst his protest.

We struggled a bit, me insisting on brushing and tying his hair. Him wanting to escape my hold.

"I can do it," Dayu insisted.

"If you can then you should have been done by now. Hold still or I will shear your hair bald,"

He stopped struggling against my hold after that. Dayu jumped away from me after I tied his hair neatly. I sighed at his stubbornness

I think he should stay in bed for another day but he just gave me an irritated look.

"The doctor looked at my wound, said it is healing just fine. If I am well, I need to work. Helpers on this base are scarce, we are not enough for the number of jobs need to be done. If I stay here, the other helpers will have more work to do,"

He is being considerate to others now? The boy can be eloquent when he argued his point. There are steels on those eyes and tone.

I ended up giving him permission to go out but I intended to ask Mr.Shu to give Dayu the lighter workload. Even though he insisted on being well enough to work, Dayu is still weak, weaker than others.

I escorted him on the way to the kitchen building. Many soldiers greeted him and praised him for his bravey but Dayu will just nod shyly, with pink flushes on his cheek.

As expected, Mr.Shu is not happy to see us.

"I thought the boy already died," the strict camp commander said.

"Mr.Shu," Dayu looks close to tears.

I intervened, "He is well now Mr.Shu. He can work but please consider giving him the lighter ones. He is still a bit weak from that poisoning,"

Dayu shook his head to contrast me, "No Mr.Shu, I can do any job. You don't need to give me the easy ones..."

I scowled at him, still addressing Mr.Shu, "He also needs to continue drinking his medicine. And his wound needs redressing..."

Mr.Shu snorted, point at Dayu. "You! Go back to the Captain's cabin. You are no help, you are an added job here. Go!"

Dayu gave me a look promising hurt in my future, "No Mr.Shu! I can take my own medicine. I can go to the infirmary alone to ask the doctor to redress my wound. I am absolutely fine now and ready to work. Please don't make me leave," he pleaded at the camp commander.

Mr.Shu contemplated those words. Then sigh and nodded. "But if you become a problem..."

"I won't be..." Dayu's swift denial.

Mr.Shu looked at me, "I will give him the easier jobs. No need to worry Captain."

I nodded and thanked him. Then I turn to Dayu whose head is down, pouting and looking sullen.

"Don't overtask yourself. Look out for that hurt shoulder. Don't lift heavy things. If you don't want to be a burden to Mr.Shu, heed those words. Understand?"

He reluctantly nodded, still looking down on the ground.

I grab him under his jaw, lift his face to look at those big, pretty eyes and that enticing mole under his left eye. He looked surprised at me.

"Look at me when you are answering my question. I want to see those eyes, to see if you are lying when you give your obedience to me," I said in a hard tone.

He blushes and tried nodding despite my hold on his neck and jaws.

We stared at each other. I smiled at him. It's easy to feel pleased when I see the pink flush on his cheeks and his round pretty eyes.

His eyes grew rounder then a sound escaped his lips.

A hiccup.