Badly Touched

(Dayu's POV)

Five days before the generals arrivals...

I don't care if the other helpers think I am losing my mind. But I can't help smiling and giggling whenever I remember playing with Captain Wang last night.

After the blindfolded game of hide and seek. We played making stones skip in the water of the stream. We played stone building, putting stones on top of each other until it toppled, the one who made it toppled lose and will take a punishment. A kiss...

I never minded losing.

I had fun last night. Even though we did nothing in the pleasurable side. What we did satisfied my heart in almost the same way.

Tonight, Captain Wang won't be able to come to me. Their troop is on patrol duty. I hope they will not encounter any trouble during patrol. I will see hin tomorrow night and I feel excited about it.

I was busy beating the dirty clothes with a wooden paddle when I realize that no one is working next to me. I look around and saw the other helpers surrounding one of ours. He is talking to a crowd around him.

I am in a good mood but I will never be in a good mood enough to do the jobs alone. They have to work.

I left the clothes I am beating. Carrying the wooden paddle I walked tot he crowd surrounding the helper. I squat to listen to his words.

"I am telling you, if you give them what they want, those soldiers will not leave you or search for another lover,"

I frown. If you give them...what do I have to give Captain Wang for him not to leave me and search for another lover?

I lean in closer to listen carefully but then the talking stop. I look at them to see them looking at me. I smiled, "Hello, just continue talking..." I urged them.

But the crowd disperse leaving the bully troop standing in front of me. The ones who ordered me to hang those wet clothes my first day in the uniform bank.

"Why would you need to know how to keep a soldier's attention on you? Didn't Captain Wang already rejected you?"

They snickered and giggled among themselves. I frown. After spending much times with other helpers, not just here in the uniform bunk but also on my first bunk, I learn one thing. They all treat Captain Wang's affection like he is a prize you have to win.

They all think he is dreamy. A son of general. He came from a rich, influential family. He is educated. A gentleman. A Captain by his own hard work. A man of honor.

Captain Wang is every helper's dream stepping stone to climb the social ladder.

"If you became his lover, he will be generous to you. His last mistress, he gave her jewelries and a house of her own..."

That is the rumor.

I just arch an eyebrow everytime I heard those kind of things about the Captain. He never gave me any jewels before, he is my lover. And why would I need jewels? His kisses and touches are enough for me.

"Is there a way to keep your lover's attention on you?" I asked bluntly. Is there another way to ask such question besides bluntly?

They snickered again. I waited patiently. They cirled around me, looking at me up and down.

"You look like an innocent little angel. You won't be able to do it for your lover," the leader said, he is taller and more bulky than me but he had a sway in his moves I don't like.

"True," the smug looking helper who was the one the helpers crowd over a while ago cross his arms on his chest. "You look like a boy good for a romp or two but then the soldiers will be bored with you eventually."

A romp? What is that?

"Let's go. His puzzled look just say that he doesn't understand what we are talking about," they sneered at me one last time before the three of them left me on my own.

I watch them walk away. I inclined my head to the side, watching the one who is noisy about the way to keep your lover interested in you so he won't look the other way.

I will have that information. And I know how to get it.

Three hours later...

I threw the helper inside the dark storage room full of rolls of cloth to use for uniforms.

I close the door and force him sit down on the lower stack of cloth.

"Now tell me that way to keep my lover interested," I asked him as he looked at me with fear in his eyes. I can see him because the storage had a window opened to keep the air flowing on the room.

He looked scared. I don't blame him. If someone smaller than you and you percieved to be weaker than you suddenly ambushed you on your way to the kitchen and drag you on the storage room on the scruff of your neck. Well...that's surprising in the least. Scary at the most.

He is feeling the "most" emotion.

"W-why do you want to know?" he stammered.

"Do I need to tell you the reason?" I asked back coldly. The helper shook his head frantically. "So tell me then," I urged him.

He explained, while stammering, the way to keep your lover interested. I blanch and I paled. My eyes glazed over as I listen to his words. To his advice...

I took a step away from him. "I-is that really the norm?" I asked the helper. "Won't it hurt?"

It hurts. I know...it hurts a lot.

The helper shrug, "My lover was careful and he prepared me for him. It was a bit painful but in the end, it's worth it because he gave me lots of rewards after that. He even gave me several pieces of silver,"

I stared as he took out a pouch from his hidden pocket. When he jiggled it, clinking coins can be heard inside. His smug look came back.

I nodded and turn to leave him. I slowly open the door of the storage room, the helper called my name but I ignore him.

I am wondering, did Captain Wang had those thoughts about me? Did he imagine doing that to me? Is he like them...

Like those monks who touched the 8 summer year old me. They touched me...badly.

That's why "The Shadow", Uncle Shu killed those monks and burn them all along with the temple.

They hurt, and it hurts a lot, Uncle Shu's nephews.

Mei and I...we were abused by those monks.