Night of Thoughts

(Qing's POV)

Leaving Dayu to Mr.Shu's care, I stride along the camp to get to my soldiers so I can start their weapon training, we have short knives as our lesson for the week. So far, it is proving to be a challenge to my soldiers who are all used to using long swords.

I bet "The Shadow" is used to all kinds of weapon.

I didn't know why that name entered my mind just now. Then I remembered the message I sent to one of my father's connection on the Hall of Records in Beijing. It's been over a week now and there are still no reply to my message, that is strange.

I got preoccupied with Dayu getting shot with poisoned arrow that I almost forgot the inquiry I am doing about that raid in a SiChuan border almost two decades ago.

The more I think about it, the more I get a feeling that it is a solid lead to my inquiries about "The Shadow".

I think about all my hunches on that monster. He is male, only a strong man can strangle a man using bare hands. He is at least fifty summers of age. He had been roaming the lands for thirty years now. His name bringing rumors and fear.

He has to be fit. In his prime condition. Maybe an official or an ex soldier himself. Methodical. Strong. Quick. Maybe he is not that tall, tall men cannot move quickly.

And comfortable working at night.

That's it. That's all I got from looking at all the evidences and cases I have collected. Barely nothing...

This rumor Dayu gave to me might be a start for me to finally identify that monster.

I have to get to him before he got to any officials close to me. Before he got one of our own.

When I got to the barracks, I saw my soldiers gearing up for the lesson. Swishing their knives around like they are little swords.

Bunch of idiots.

"That's enough you morons! You might hurt yourselves or worse someone else with your stupidities! Line up!" I shouted as I got near them.

They lined up for the lesson. I look at each and one of them. I sighed. This will be a long day for me.

Night falls...

Dayu is still not inside the cabin when I got in after dinner. I decided to get clean up as I rolled in the mud from trying to stop my soldiers from injuring themselves using those knives.

I don't remember being that stupid while I am learning knife combat the first time, and I only passed my 13th summer that time.

Like I said. Bunch of idiots.

After splashing water on my face and body using the two buckets of water readied by a helper who also light a candle for the room, I dried myself using a big square of cloth. I was about to reach my armoire when I saw a bundle of scrolls on the top of my table. There was a note attached to it.

I snatch that note and read it.

"To Captain Wang Qing from the Halls of Record..."

Finally! But I frown, just three pieces of scrolls for a record of a raid? Isn't this a bit few for a record on a raid? I expected at least ten scrolls.

I shook my head. Dressed quickly and sit in front of my desk and start reading.

After fifteen minutes I have finished all three scrolls. I am more frustrated than before. Such few information for a raid that was lead by a former glorified general.

"I need more!" I want to pound my desk. I need number of prisoners, how many died, what kind of villages did they raided? Who are the other officials who came with that raid?

Did "The Shadow" came from that village?

This is frustrating me to no end.

I was about to stand up when the door opened and in came Dayu who looked a bit pale.

I instantly worry.

"Are you hurt?" I asked as I came to him.

He shook his head, "No, just tired,"

"Have you eaten? Did you take your medicine? You wound, did you go to the infirmary to redress it?"

"Yes, yes, yes..."

I scowled at him. I put a hand on his forehead. Nope, no fever. Maybe he was just indeed tired.

"I think my head is aching," Dayu said.

I scowled at him, "I told you, you are still not well. You should have stayed one more day in bed. You..." I stopped ang sighed, for what good will giving him a sermon would do? He looks tired already.

I made him sit on the raised bed. I wet a cloth and sat next to him. I started wiping his face and neck.

"Take off your tunic," I said. His eyes didn't go round. He just shook his head. "Take it off yourself or I will take it off for you," I threatened him.

He looked at me with tired eyes. Then he put his arms up, sideways. I was taken aback. But took his decision. I started unlacing his tunic and pull it up to get it off him.

Naked from waist up, I started wiping his torso with the wet cloth. His chest first, down to his waist.

"Lay down on your stomach," I ordered and he followed wordlessly.

I wonder if someone snatch the original Dayu and replaced him with a quiet, obedient one.

When he was lying on his stomach, I wipe the cloth on his back, carefully avoiding the bandaged wound. Then I pulled up the blanket up to the middle of his back.

I carefully peeled off the bandage. The wound looks clean and not infected. I redress it again and look at Dayu's lying form.

Stubborn fool. I just realized that I don't like seeing him this way. Tired, pale and unresponsive.

I pulled off the tie on his head, let his hair and scalp breath in. Then I ruffle his head. I stood up to put out the candle so we can rest. Dayu needs to sleep.

I lay down on the pallet on the floor and look up at the shadows on the ceiling. My mind goes back to that almost empty report about that raid in the SiChuan border.

Something is really strange about that raid.

(Dayu's POV)

I stared sightlessly in the darkness of the cabin.

I am always tired after reminiscing the past. All I want to do is to sleep and try to forget everything.

But like what I told Uncle Shu, I can't forget even if I want to. I tried it so many times but to no avail.

I see their faces. My parents. My father dying on that gallows as blood oozes from his body. Gurgling sounds came from him as he drown in his own blood from all those wounds he took. Vile rose up from my stomach every time I remembered it, I wanna throw up.

And then the worst memory will come. My mother. My beautiful and kind mother. Broken...

I close my eyes. Tears prick them. I hate myself this time.

I hate myself because I let my enemy comfort me on the lowest time of my life, when I am remembering the past.

Captain Wang taking care of me just added the burden in my heart. I don't need his kindness.

What I need is revenge! And then maybe peace can finally come to me...