55: Pride

Cory

It was eleven, the whole team was gone and it was just me on the field running back and forth analyzing every single thing that I have went through for the day. I got tackled…hard. I threw up around three times just thinking about the stupid thought of getting tackled, my ribs felt like noodles but I knew that it was going to take time. Just the thought of having these old ass niggas tackling me and calling me some fucking baby goat got me super heated, heated enough to just let go of this damn football thing. But I wasn’t going to quit, I couldn’t. Alia had too much faith in me and didn’t want me to quit. Alia came to every practice that I had, and she talked to Shamar every minute that he had, it got me angry, angry enough to make me have this hate for the man because he somehow kept this smile on her face when she was here but when she got home she was angry at me and just threw so much shade at me.

“Hey kid, you know practice ended two hours ago? I got to lock this place up.” Shamar said walking to the middle of field where I stop catching my breath and looked up at him.

“It’s fine, I could jump the gate, aint like I aint never do it before.” I said, and sat on the grass holding my rib from the pain.

“Your girlfriend is at home too, I think you should be with her.” He added and I looked at him and laughed.

“Yeah, the old man already told her all the things she could hear and now I come home and I got to see her give me the angry black woman face,” I said, “I got a question to ask you, you fucking her or something? Because she comes here everyday with smiles on her face but when she looks at me I’m some fucking enemy.”

He shook his head laughing like it was some joke but from the look on my face I was more than serious.

“The problem with you young men nowadays is pride. It’s your worse enemy. In public it look like you hardly care about her but when a man comes around and shows her that there is more to life than that puppy love you giving her. She’s a woman she has feelings and your baby, you cant read her fucking mind but when you love someone enough you could actually think what the fuck they thinking. Talking to her made her realize that she got all this emotion balled up in her to the point that she don’t want to tell you because you got too much of the word pride. Man the fuck up and go home. You may be young but you tackling something that an adult does.” He said and walked off.

 I just sat there; looking at him as if I didn’t care but beyond the line he was right, pride was my worst enemy.

So Basically this aint long only because i had some English classwork to worry about, so i whipped this little thing up. only 10 comments till the next chapter.