Chapter 58

I tore my gaze away from Spencer to look at our family.

"We're going to name him Luca Jace Adams."

It sounded like they all gasped at once, and instantly started on how perfect the name was, and how they loved it. Soon enough, everyone was crying and hugging each other. When we all sat back down, Spencer held me tight.

"I don't think there could be a more perfect name for him." James said, and everyone else agreed.

"Our thoughts exactly." Spencer responded. "Thank you all, for being there for us through everything. We've all gone through a lot of hard times to get to where we are now. But Mackenzie and I are very thankful for your support, it means a lot to us."

I kissed his jaw and rested my head on his shoulder. I couldn't have said that better myself.

"Carly," Mom leaned over and gave her a look, Carly quickly got out of her seat and walked toward the kitchen and came back a minute later with her large purse. "Carly and I made something for you two. Do you still plan on telling him about Jace?"

My throat locked up so Spencer answered for me, "We do. We think it's important for him to know."

Mom nodded while Carly handed us a large scrapbook. "If for whatever reason you didn't, that would be fine, no one would blame you for that. But in case you do, we made this so you could show baby Luca who Jace was, instead of just telling him stories."

Spencer sat the book on his lap and opened it, so the top was on mine. I gasped as we flipped through page after page of Jace. Pictures from right after he was born, to funny toddler, first day of school sports , and first time surfing. Watching him grow up right before my eyes was incredible, and as we neared the end, tears started falling down my face. This was the Jace I had fallen in love with and known. The tall handsome tatted up artist. There were pictures of all the guys at the house, pictures of him and Carls, ones of him at the shop, and pictures of us together at the end. The first was from my birthday after Jace and I had come back downstairs. He was standing behind me, holding the ultrasound picture on top of my small bump and i had my neck craned up so we could kiss. The second one was at a campfire at the beach one day with Carly and Cory. The last two were hard for me, but I was so thankful they were in there. One was after Jace's last class of college, we had our arms wrapped around each other and our forehead pressed together. The next was of the last night of his life, we were standing outside mom and dad's talking. I remember that conversation like it was just yesterday. He was giving me reasons for him not to go to the party but I was standing my ground telling him he had to go. I wasn't even aware someone took a picture but it was beautiful. The sun was setting behind us, Jace was kneeling on the driveway and I was laughing while running my hands through his shaggy blonde hair. He was holding my stomach with his face close enough that his nose was touching my belly button. Jace kept saying that if baby gummy bear kicked for him, he wasn't going to the party so Jace had continued to talk to my belly, in hopes the baby would wake up. But he didn't and eventually Jace had left. That had been our last happy moment together.

When we shut the book, Spencer turned to me and ran his thumbs over my cheeks, wiping the tears away and pressed a soft kiss to each cheek. He stood up and walked to the other side of the room, pulling mom out of her chair, he then wrapped his big arms around her and thanked her while she cried. This was one of the many reasons why I loved him. Beyond the tough guy exterior, was the most gentle and caring heart. What Jace and I had done had ultimately crushed Spencer but despite what we did, he had quietly stepped aside when he found out instead of taking it out on either of us. He had been there for me when I thought Jace broke my heart, and had helped me out of my catatonic mourning period when he died. He loved me and my baby, despite the mistakes I had made, and now here he was holding and thanking Jace's mother for a book to help us tell Luca stories of 'How great his dad was' as Spencer had put it that day. After mom finished crying, I hugged her tightly while Spencer hugged Carls, Dad and Cory.