Chapter 10

When I left Spencer's room I immediately started looking for Carly. When I found her she was still in bed with Cory. Her boy toy for the week. When I told her about my date she ditched him and we left to get our nails done. I was glad she was a great friend. I was nervous about tonight, I practically had butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it. Carly gave a few pointers such as not overthinking too much, and no kissing during the movie because it tends to get annoying. Once we got our nails done, we drove by our dorm to grab an outfit to wear for tonight. When we got back to the house, I went straight to the bathroom so I could shower. I was in the middle of shaving when I heard the door open.

"Carly?"

"Nope, just me."

"Jace! Holy shit, what the hell are you doing in here." I tried to cover my naked body, but my chest alone needed two arms. Darn my big boobs.

"Calm down baby, I won't peek."

"I could've sworn I locked that door."

"You do know I own this house and that I have every key that would open to every door."

"Can you please leave?" I whined as I shut the water off. A towel was being held through the side of the curtain and I grabbed it wrapping myself in it, but still didn't open the only thing separating us.

"So are you going out with him tonight?"

"Yes Jace, I am."

"Are you just going on this date because I told you not to?"

"No Jace, I'm not. I really like Spencer. If he feels the same way and ask me out again then I will say yes. You clearly don't want me so you're not allowed to have a say in my love life." He flung the curtain open and I shrieked almost slipping in the tub in the process.

"That's bullshit Mac. I never said I didn't want you, I said I didn't deserve you."

"That's practically the same thing." I glared at him. "I know how you are Jace. You use women and then throw them out once you got in their pants. I don't want to be one of them, I want something more, and Spencer seems the type that would give me that."

I waited for him to respond back but he didn't. We just stood there staring at each other for god knows how long.

"If he is what you want, I'll stop bothering you." He finally said. He leaned in to press his lips on my bruises. Jace's eyes were dark by the time he looked back into my eyes. "I am so sorry Mackenzie." He whispered and leaned in close to kiss the the corner of my mouth.

"Get my number from Carly, I have to go work but if anything happens, just call me and I'll be there."

I just nodded and watched him walk out. I'm positive I wouldn't be calling him tonight. I couldn't let myself get any closer to him. No matter how much I wished he was different, he wasn't. I needed to stop thinking about him and focus on Spencer. When I walked out of the bathroom I stepped into Jace's room and continued getting ready. I curled my hair while Carly did my makeup. She settled for a neutral smokey eye and thankfully allowed me to apply my mascara and eyeliner. My phone buzzed and I reached for it smiling after I saw who it was from.

Mason Kidd:

Macaroni! How's California?

I smiled at the nickname he gave me before texting back

Me:

Amazing!!! You should come visit. ;)

Mason Kidd:

As soon as we finish our last game.

Me:

Promise?!

Mason Kidd:

Promise! Now what's my girl up to?

Me:

I'm actually getting ready for my first date tonight.

Mason Kidd:

Uh... Date? Really?

Me:

Yes really. Is there a problem?

Mason Kidd:

No... It's just I didn't expect you to meet someone, let alone date or anything like that.

Me:

You could at least be happy for me. Geez

Mason Kidd:

I am. Call me later? I miss you Mac.

Me:

Miss you to Mace.

"Let me guess...Mason?

I looked up at Carly, "Yea, how did you know?"

"Every time he calls or texts you, you practically drop everything just to talk to him."

"I do not! I just don't get to talk to him often." I shrugged

"Uh huh. I'm sure that's the case. Does Spencer have some competition?"

"No way!, Mason's my best friend. Nothing else." Instead of saying anything else Carly turned me toward the mirror. I was dressed in a dark green shirt that was loose on the top but form fitting on the bottom, dark skinny jeans and ankle boots. After a few final touches, I gave Carly a quick goodbye hug before heading out to find Spencer.

"You look absolutely stunning Mackenzie." He breathed when I walked into the living room.

"And you look handsome." I winked. That was a lie, he looked downright delicious. He had on a pair of khaki shorts and a black button up shirt, sleeves rolled up revealing his muscled forearms and a pair of converse.

He led me outside and helped me into his car.

Carly was right, I had nothing to worry about. The date was going so well. We had fun laughing and getting to know more about each other during dinner and the movie we saw was hilarious. Who knew We're The Millers could be so funny. We didn't make out during the movies but the few tender kisses he'd stolen throughout the night left me wanting more. When we got back to the house,we walked into a party much like the first one I had been to. Spencer grabbed my arm leading me towards the kitchen. But before we got any closer to his room, Carly pulled me away to interrogate me about my date. By the time I finished explaining everything that had happened, she was frowning from my lack of juicy details.

"Uh, who's that?" She pointed over my shoulder and I turned to see a slutty blonde hanging off Spencer.