Chapter 24

My face flamed as I tried to ignore the fact that I just caught Jace staring at me. Him biting his lips made me want him even more. As Jace walked by, he grabbed my hand and held it for a few seconds before dropping it and sitting at one of the tables. I watched a few games of adults playing poker and sat down next to Carly and Cory at one of the tables and watched as they played poker and lose all of their money. Jace walked over and whispered down my ear "having fun?" He asked and flashed me his signature smirk.

Before I could answer, Carly leaned into me and whispered "He finally got laid."

When she whispered those 4 words, I immediately choked on my soda "what?"

"Look at him Mac. This is the happiest he's been in two weeks. Some chick must've given it to him real good."

I know this may sound ridiculous but I was insanely jealous of whoever this chick may be. My heart clenched just thinking about Jace that way. I felt like I was cheating on Spencer with my thoughts alone, and I hated it. I could feel Jace's eyes on me every second and it was seriously distracting. I needed to get away from him. I walked around, looking for mom and dad. When I spotted mom at another table, I walked over and sat down right next to her.

"Winning anything?" I asked her but I knew she sucked at poker so I doubt she was.

"I might have the chance of winning Mac!" Mom smiled at me and I laughed

"No way. Are you sure you didn't cheat?"

"Of course not. Although, I think your father might be." She mock whispered. I laughed, glancing at the other table where James sat.

"More beer?" I asked as I saw her empty beer bottle.

"Oh yes sweetie."

"Coming right up. Anyone else?" I asked the other players around the table. Four other people, I didn't know said yes so I headed towards the kitchen and grabbed six.

"Nuh uh. No way in hell you are drinking six bottles of beer. If I'm not drinking, you aren't!" I shot a sideways glance at Jace

"FYI I am not drinking all of these. I won't be able to handle it. And secondly, why aren't you drinking?"

"Because I don't want to. I quit." He shrugged and looked around the room, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Quit? Since when?" I was surprised he was able to stop drinking.

Jace stopped looking and finally made contact with me. "Ever since that night I hurt you."

"What? But why?"

"Didn't you tell me to stop drinking? So I did."

"But I didn't mean you HAD to. You can do whatever you want..."

"I know but I've been wanting to quit for a while now so when I hurt you that night.... I finally pushed myself into quitting."

"Well why don't we share one? It's only half a bottle."

He slapped his stomach "I guess I can handle half a beer."

"Alrighty then. Why don't you help me with these. I'm hanging out with your mom." I don't think calling James and Katherine, Mom and Dad infront of Jace was "appropriate". Thinking about them as my parents when Jace and I had these feelings for each other was beyond weird. We watched Katherine win a game of poker and even though I kept the beer between us, Jace never touched it. With five minutes left of the year, everyone bunched up together and waited for the countdown to begin. I found Carly and Cory and joined them but I doubt they knew I was there since they already had their tongues down each other's throats even though midnight hadn't even striked yet.

The countdown started and when we hit six, I was pulled back to the darkened hall and found Jace staring at me. His hands cupped me face and his thumbs brushed back and forth over my cheekbones. I heard everyone chant the final numbers before erupting into cheers and Jace's lips softly pressed into mine. I stood shocked and surprised for a few seconds before wrapping my arms around his neck and moving my mouth against his. He traced my bottom lip with his tongue and I opened my mouth, inviting him in and he indeed did not disappoint. I pressed my body into his and he stumbled to the opposite wall and grabbed my hips, bringing me to rest between his legs. We poured 4 and a half months of denying and ignoring our chemistry into that one kiss... When it was over, I knew things would never be the same for us. He rested his forehead against mine as soon as we broke the kiss. I swear, my heart was about to explode.

"Mackenzie." His voice was low and passionate "that kiss....it was the best kiss I have ever received. And I will think about that kiss for the rest of my life." He stepped away and watched me for a moment then turned to leave. The next thing I knew, I was upstairs, in Carly's room with my back against the door. I was still trying to calm my heart when my phone went off. I walked over to my purse and Spencer's name immediately showed up on the screen of my phone.

Spencer:

Happy New Years babe. I love you.

Worst girlfriend of the year goes to.... MACKENZIE JACKSON!

***

Five days went by without seeing or hearing from Jace. I hated that me not seeing him affected me and my daily routine. I hated that I cared for him. I'm madly in love with Spencer... But why do I have to love Jace too?. I decided to watch some tv, hoping that would keep me distracted by my thoughts of the kiss and Jace. My phone went off and my heart skipped a beat when I looked at it.

Jace:

Ready for that tattoo?

Me:

When can I get it?

Jace:

Seriously?

Me:

Yeah. Book me an appointment. I'll show up.

Jace:

Today at 3?

Me:

Alright.

Jace:

See you in a couple hours baby.

I know it was a bad idea. But after that kiss? It was definantly a worst idea now. I ran upstairs to take a quick shower and dressed in loose comfy clothing so I could be comfy during and after the tattoo. I called Spencer to let him know that I was getting the tattoo and he was pumped for me. I left out the part about Jace being there and that it was his idea for me to get the tattoo in the first place. I hated keeping things from him, I knew what I was doing was wrong but if he found out, he would flip. I drove to the tattoo parlor that Jace gave me directions to and arrived just after 3.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to come."

"Sorry. Traffic was heavy."

"What matters is that you are here now."

"Yeah. So who's doing my tattoo?" I asked anxiously

"Yeah about that.... I'm doing your tattoo."

"What?" I asked, hoping he would be joking

"Mac, I work here. How do you think I got the appointment for you that quick? This is my job Mac."

How did I not think that? He's clearly covered in tattoos and he's an incredibly skilled artist. I should have put the puzzle pieces together.

"You couldn't have mentioned this to me earlier?" His smile fell and he leaned in closer

"I'm sorry. But if you found out that I was doing your tattoo, you would have never agreed to do it because of Spencer."

"Hell yeah!"

"Please Mac... Let me do this for you."

"Okay fine." I don't think I can handle him touching my body for a few hours. But I want this tattoo. I know that at some point, I am going to regret having Jace do my tattoo. But considering what Jace and I have been through, it couldn't be that bad. Right? I hope