Chapter 35

I looked at her mom and took a deep breath,but before any sound could come out of my mouth I started crying again. Somehow between the sobs and hiccups I managed to spit out, "I'm Pregnant."

Katherine wasn't mad, just like Carly said she was sad but she understood what I was going through. We all cried and she held onto me and soon enough looked mildly when I said it wasn't Spencer's. Actually, she looked relieved at the same time I told her. Carly and I shared a confused look but kept our mouths shut. Thankfully she didn't pry when I asked if I could tell her who the father was after I tell Spencer and see how he would react to it. She swore she wouldn't tell anyone other than James and went off to set up an appointment for me. Her only request was that Carly and I were to move out of the dorms and into their house. She thought it would be safer for the baby so she could help me throughout the whole process. Carly and I didn't care. We would normally spend most of our days here anyways. The dorm was mainly only used if we were pissed off at our boyfriends. And plus, once I tell Spencer, I have a feeling I wouldn't be welcome in the house anymore. After a few minutes later, Katherine peaked her head through the door once again.

"Oh and you should let your father know about this sweetie."

Crap. That....was going to be a difficult conversation. I actually called him right away...twice, but he never answered. It's not like I expected him to, We haven't spoken since the end of August. I really wanted to tell him over the phone instead of via email. Unfortunately, that was my only option at this point. So I grabbed my laptop and typed out a quick email explaining what I'd just found out and that I was truly sorry for disappointing him. I knew he would respond in a few minutes so I sat there and waited for it. I heard a chime and opened up the email he sent. I should have expected his response but reading it still broke my heart. Carly cursed and ran down the hall screaming for her mom to tell her what he said. 

Your stupid choices brought you to where you are right now so you'll have to live with them. If you decide to keep that thing, you are no longer welcome in my house. You are on your own. I've already paid for this semester, but if you want to continue your education I suggest you lose the kid or you can find your own way to pay for your tuition. I have much more important things to deal with right now Mackenzie and you are not one of it.

I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach, but I shouldn't be feeling this way. Being upset over a dad that never wanted me in the first place was pointless. I forced a smile when Carly and her mom came back in to comfort me. 

"Well that's two down... three more to go."

Katherine's eyes filled with tears but she nodded her head "I've already set up an appointment on Wednesday."

"Thanks for everything mom." I mumbled and leaned in to give her a hug.

The rest of the day was spent moving our things out from the dorm. Well they did most of the work since they refused to let me do much. I kept reassuring them that I was fine, but despite my attempts, I ended up supervising. Mom gave me the guest bedroom and said if the father ended up being a douche bag, I could live with them and set up a nursery in the other guestroom. I looked to Carls who was all smiles. I was pretty sure she knew Jace wouldn't bail on his kid. I doubt his parents would let him not be there for the baby. Once I do tell him though, I want to make sure he knew he didn't have to be anything if he didn't want to. 

*****

I didn't see or hear from Jace until the day of the appointment which I was flustered about all day. I didn't even notice he was there until I bumped into him. LITERALLY. Carly, Mom and I were texting back and forth, trying to help me calm down. I had been so focused on my phone that I bumped right into him and a group of other guys. 

"What the he- Mac?"

I retrieved my phone from the ground and stood back up, turning to leave as fast as possible.

"Mackenzie, wait up!" He caught my arm and spun me around so I was face to face with him.

"You're not even going to say hi now? Is that how it is?"

"Hi..." My voice cracked and I kept my eyes glued to the ground. 

Jace gently placed his hand under my chin and lifted it until I was staring at him through unshed tears. 

"Baby what's wrong?" God. Why did he have to call me that? Memories of our times together flashed through my mind and my cheeks instantly heated. 

"Nothing." I cleared my throat and tried to blink back the tears "my allergies are just acting up."

I could tell he wasn't buying it by the look he was giving me but thank god he didn't push the subject further. Thankfully, he stepped back, hung his head and sighed roughly.

"So I haven't seen you around my house much. I know you don't want to be with me or anything but that dosen't mean you can't be there. I promise I won't get in between you and Spencer."

"No, no that's not why I haven't been there. I um... We um... I broke up with him."

Jace's head snapped up "What? You did? When? Why? How did I not know this?" He was failing miserably at trying to hide his elated smile. 

"About a week ago. But its too painful to talk about it and i'm still on the verge of getting over that. I can't just rush back to you because Spencer and I aren't together anymore."

He cupped my cheeks and hunched down so he was eye leveled.

"Mackenzie, I love you. I'll give you all the time you need. Unless you don't want me anymore?"

I pressed my face harder into his left hand and closed my eyes, inhaling his clean masculine scent. 

"I've told you, I will always love you Jace but i'm still sure that you would end up leaving me. Because of that, I don't know if I can be with you. And there are things that came up since we last talked and I'm afraid you might change your mind about being with me altogether."

"That's not possible."

I pulled his hands off my face and wrapped his tattooed arms around my shoulders. After placing a kiss on his throat, I buried my head in his chest. "I wish that were true." My life had drastically changed in such a short amount of time. I had just broken up with Spencer and now Jace and I were going to have a baby. Because of the turn of events, I found myself hoping for a life with Jace. I wanted him to be there for me and our baby. Here, wrapped up in his arms, I could almost believe it might happen. But Jace was about to graduate college, and he was a tattoo artist and spent his mornings surfing. I couldn't see him settling down with me and our baby. 

"It is Mac." His voice cracked when he said my name, and when I looked up at him tears were falling down his face. 'I love you so damn much. Why can't you see that?" My eyes instantly watered again just looking at him. I couldn't mean this much for him to start crying in public at the thought of us not being together,Could I?

"I have to go. I'm sorry."

"Mackenzie please. Please don't walk away from me again. Talk to me baby."

I kept my head down and walked around the corner to meet up with Carly. Her eyes widened when she saw the two of us together and took in the trails of tears on both our faces. I glanced around and people were definitely staring at us as Jace begged me to stop. 

"Mac, please talk to me!" I reached Carly's side and turned around to face him. 

"I will. We WILL talk but not right now.Okay?"

"Promise?" I nodded and lifted my hands to wipe away his tears.

He then whispered "I love you." He kissed the inside of my wrist and watched me step back. Carly lightly brushed her hand against his arm and looked nervously between the two of us. Now that he had acknowledged Carly he also took in the people staring at us and ducked his head as he walked away. 

A/N

Don't worry the next chapter will talk about what happened when Mackenzie told Spencer about the pregnancy and how the whole breakup happened. Thank you all for 2K read :D