One Weekend Of Giving In

Chapter 1

My face was stretched in a wide grin as I glance around my room one last time. I was finally leaving this small town, I was finally going to college and live my life. I grew up with a single workaholic dad. I loved him and all but...when it came to "being a parent", let's just say he didn't really knew how. The only thing he was good at was being a strict parent, and expecting me to be perfect. Having a single parent meant working extra hours to fulfill our needs and pay the bills. My dad did just that. He was chef at Luna Blu's Diner and a Football coach at Ridge-wood High. The guys in his football team respected him and I can't help but think that my dad might have wished he had a son instead. Since my dad coached my high school football team and worked at Luna's, my dad and I never had the chance to bond and have that father daughter moment. But after eighteen years of trying to be "the perfect daughter" I was finally going to have that freedom and have that college experience -whatever that was-. I know I could have just gone to college here but living in a small town for 18 years.... It could be a little suffocating, and plus there is so much things out there that I knew I would be missing out on if I stayed here.

"Are you sure you want to do this Mackenzie? There are plenty of schools in Georgia."

I kept my gaze on his and said "Dad, we've been over this a hundred times, I'm certain I want to go and plus I need to do this."

As expected, he simply just nod, turned and walked out of my empty bedroom.

And that's how good as it was going to get, it was surprising how he could talk to the team all day long during practice or meetings or games but when it comes to me, he's out the door within two minutes tops.

I was interrupted by my thoughts when my I felt a vibrate in my front pocket. Ever since I made the announcement that I was leaving for California, my phone was constantly going off. On weekends I would normally attend my dad's morning practices and watch the guys warm-up. You could say during those practices, I've became friends with mostly everyone in the team. They mostly saw me as their sister or friend.

*Mason Kidd

Are you seriously going to leave me?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm going to go insane without you here to keep my company.

Me:

I'm sure you'll live without me by your side 24/7 Kidd. And you can always take up on of those slutty cheerleaders who seem to pay so much attention to you. They're sure to keep you better company than me. 😉

Mason:

I think I got cooties just thinking about them.

Me:

Ahaha! Ew!. Good luck with them.

I gotta head out, Coach's done loading my bags in the car.

Mason:

Alright... I'll miss you Mac. Don't have too much fun without me and don't you dare even think about forgetting me!

Me:

Never!

Mason Kidd was a year younger then me, I would normally see him around school but ever since he made it in my dad's team we started getting close and a month or two after that, we technically became best friends. He was always one of the guys who would keep me company whenever their coach was running late. I wasn't surprised that this was the 10th time Mason asked me to stay. Even though it was last minute. I glanced around the house I'd grown up in one last time before meeting my dad in the car.

About 12 hours later, I finally made it to California University. I had the dorm all to myself since my roommate hadn't checked in yet, but from the back and forth emailing and skyping, she did mention that she wouldn't be checking in for a few days and that she lived close by. I got settled in within 4 hours later before taking a long hot shower and falling onto my bed. It has been a long day of traveling and unpacking and it took all the rest of my energy just to curl up in bed and fall asleep.