Chapter 14

The next morning there was an electric undercurrent that ran through the group of residences.  I sat down at a table enjoying my breakfast and watch the people. Excitement filled the air and the noise level reminded me of my first night when I served dinner.

"Morning Celeste."

"Hey Natalie. Everyone seem to be in a great mood today."

"Of course, Colin is back with us safe and sound.  He is going to make it."

I nodded.  I wanted to go back down to the makeshift hospital to see him again but knew it was not my place. "So what now?"

"What do you mean?" Natalie eyes looked bewildered.

"I guess I need to get ready to leave."

"What do you mean, leave? You're not staying?"

"Of course, I can't stay here forever."

"Yes, but.. but.." Natalie searched around her frantically floundering for the right words to say.

"Natalie did you think I was staying? I mean you all have been nice, but I don't belong here."

Natalie shook her head vigorously with a scared look on her face. 

"Good morning, Celeste." Vicki sat next to me and across from Natalie.  Vicki stared at Natalie and she quickly stared down at her plate.  

"See you later, Celeste." Natalie scattered quickly away from us and I look to Vicki for answers. Vicki just  shrugged her shoulders and continue eating her food.

"So how's Dylan?"

"He woke up late last night.  He is going to be fine, they are releasing him a little later on today."

"Colin?" I wanted so bad to ask if I could go and see him.

"He is doing better, but will probably need to stay a few more days. He's talking and eating solid food, so that's a great sign he is improving."

"I'm glad to hear it."

"He wants to see you."

My heart thumped erratically in my chest. "Really?"

Vicki laughed, "yes of course, Celeste.  He wants to talk to the woman who saved him."

I shoveled that last piece of pancakes into my mouth and then guzzle down the orange juice. I jumped out of seat carrying my plate to the bin to be washed.  Vicki's laughter followed me out of the dining room as I raced towards the basement. I raced down the stairs, down the hall and screech to a halt at his door.  I shifted nervously on my feet my hand position over the door to knock.  I tried calming myself down and took a deep breath.

"Come in Celeste." his deep baritones washed over me sending shivers all over my body.  How did he know I was out here.  I push the door open slowly and greedily feasted upon him sitting up in his bed. Yesterday his skin looked washed out, but now he seemed to be glowing.  His thick black tresses stood all over his head like he had been running his hands through them. The only wires that was protruding out of his body this morning was the IV that was attach to the back of his hand. His green eyes beckoned me forward and I felt like a puppet walking slowly towards him. 

 "Please have a seat." He glanced at the chair beside him. I obediently followed still unable to find my voice. "Are you ok?" I blinked and realized that I had been staring at him like a moron.

"I should be asking you that. You look much better than last night." I chewed on my bottom lip nervously.  For some reason I was speechless around him.

"Thank you for saving me." I met the intensity of his eyes.

"It was nothing."

"Oh I beg to differ.  I heard what you had to sacrifice in order to get word to my people."

"Well, umm, I would do it again."

"I want you to know that you can stay here as long as you like."

I shifted in my seat looking down at my hands. His offer was generous but I knew I couldn't stay.  There was just something about this place.

"Celeste."

"Yes."

"I insist that you stay at least until we replace what you lost."

"What do you mean?"

"Sweetie."

"Sweetie..?" I looked at him grinning at me and then it dawn on me. He heard me when I talked to him last night.  And if he heard me talking to him, then that meant..the kiss or kisses.  I hopped out of the chair totally embarrassed. I turn to leave but his hand held onto my wrist to impede my exit.

"Don't leave."

"I..I have to go." I couldn't turn back to look at him because I was definitely ashamed of my behavior. He probably thinks I was a creep for taking advantage of him.

"Celeste don't be embarrass. If it helps, your kisses brought me from the brink of death." I closed my eyes. "I will let you go for now, but promise me you will come back and have dinner with me."

I desperately wanted to leave and would agree to anything right now. "I will come back for dinner."

"Promise?"

"I promise." he let go of my hand and I made my escape out of his room.  I didn't stop until I got back to his bedroom and collapsed on the bed.  I screamed into the pillow.  I was so humiliated.  I was going to take the knowledge of  me kissing an unconscious Colin to my grave.  I screamed again into the pillow and pummeled the bed with my fists and legs.