Chapter 11

The rest of the day crept by as I was undecided at what to do.  I wanted to go down to the makeshift hospital and check on Vicki and Dylan but didn't want to intrude.  I was after all a stranger to these people and I didn't want to invade their privacy.  I know it sounds silly but I felt an instant connection with Vicki but was still unsure.  I also had a strong urge to see how Colin was doing, but knew that I would not get within 50 feet of him.

So I decided to sequester myself in Colin's bedroom and watch cartoons. It wasn't like I watched them for my entertainment but more for research.  I had to learn the tunes of Dora and Power Rangers to play for the kids tomorrow. I had dozed off but was awaken by a couple of sharp knocks. I opened the door to a red-eye Vicki.  My heart went out to her and I swallowed her up in a confronting hug.  I pulled her inside of the room and closed the door leading her to the couch.

"How's Dylan?" Vicki's expression was blank and I couldn't determine if he made it.

"He's alive, barely.  They threw me out and told me to get some rest, but... i. I didn't want to be alone in our room." Vicki was slouched over emotionally drained from the fight to get Colin back.

"And you shouldn't be alone.  Here laid down and get some rest.  I will get you something to eat from the kitchen." I helped put Vicki in a prone position and grabbed the blanket off the bed and cover her with it. Her eyes fluttered close and her breathing slowed.  She was out.  I tiptoed out of the room closing the door silently.  I made my way down to the kitchen where the women were preparing dinner.  The ladies were eerily quiet, no one looking up to acknowledge my entrance.

"Hey Tracy, anyway I can get a plate for Vicki.  She's sleeping in my room and I want try to get her to eat something when she wakes up."

"Thank goodness, she's finally getting some rest.  We thought we would have to haul her away in a straight jacket to peel her away from Dylan's side." Tracy busied herself making a plate for Vicki.

"Is he going to be ok?"

"We hope so, but only time will tell.  They gave him an antidote and now we have to wait and see."

"Antidote? He was poisoned?" My god who were these people. Chemical warfare in the heart of the United States.  Somebody alert the FBI or Homeland Security.

"Yes, they had some nasty stuff. It took a while before our doctors could figure out what it was."

"And Colin? How is he?" 

"Same as Dylan, but maybe worse off because they gave him a cocktail of sorts and he had longer exposures to the poisons." Indescribable pain shot through me at the knowledge that Colin might not live.

"Is Colin going to die?" After everything, he still might die?  If only I had learned of his existence before now. 

"We are praying he doesn't, but its not looking good." 

"Tracy can you hold off in making Vicki's plate.  There is something I have to do first.  I will be back a little later for her dinner." I knew what I had to do.  I left the kitchen and headed for the hidden door behind the staircase.