Chapter 45

Wrapped in Colin's protective arms in the cramped space in the trunk of one of Rick 's SUVs, Ben drove at a maddening pace. We felt every bump and sharp turns he made as we got further from the house.

Ben and Chris was riding in the front while Stanley and his family sat in the back row. Me and Colin were hiding in the trunk and hopefully under Todd's radar. The plan was simple there was two cars heading in different directions. The diversion car had two people dressed in our clothes that were to drive past Todd and his men to ensue a chase. While Todd took the bait we headed in the opposite direction to rendezvous with Colin's people. We were actually moving further away from Colin's territory but it couldn't be helped.

This change also would take longer for Colin's people to reach us because they had to backtrack.

I just prayed to god that Colin's plan was going to work.

No one spoke a word  in the tension filled car as we left Rick's territory. "I think  we are clear now, you can slow down."  Colin had released me and sat up. I followed suit watching Ben as he continue speeding down the road not easing off the gas pedal.  

Chris reached over to touch his arm, "Dude slow down."

"Not until we got more distance." Ben answered as his hand tightened on the steering wheel. 

"Ben, man, slow down, you are going too fast." Stanley said with more of an alarmingly tone. I couldn't see  how fast he was going but knew it had to be over 100 miles per hour,  judging by the  blur of trees we were passing and my own experience when I was in the police chase.

"Ben if you don't slow down you can lose control of the car.  This is an SUV and not made built for racing.  You can tip us over."  Colin's voice was calmed but commanding.  As Colin's words sunk in, Ben eased off the gas bringing the car down to a more manageable speed.

"Sorry guys, I didn't mean to scare anybody.  I just want to get us as far away and as fast I can away from them. I'm cool, now." Ben answered his stiff shoulders seem to slouch as he loosen his death grip around the steering wheel.

"You sure man, I can drive." Chris volunteers still shooting doubtful looks his way.

"Yea, I'm cool." Ben shrugged it off. 

I stared out of the window sighing with relief when I saw the sign for Redstone in eleven miles.  We were meeting up with Colin's people in the town of Redstone.  The town was in the neutral zone and it was full of humans that were not aware of the existence of werewolves. As we got closer to the small town housing and subdivisions started to pop up on both sides of the four lane highway.  The houses were a mixture of old  and new  ranch-style and two story homes. The thick forest started to thin out as more buildings came into view.  We entered the town and I was surprised at the size of it.  It wasn't a small town filled with mom and pops stores, but a mid size town filled with well known franchises such as Walmart and every type of fast food and restaurant.

There were shopping centers and hotels and the streets were busy with traffic and people shopping.  

"I wasn't expecting a city of this size." I turned to Colin looking for answers.

"That's because this is a college town.  They have two colleges here, a technical school and a university. Some of the younger people in my pack have gone to school here." Colin was scouting out the window trying to find the meet up place.  "Ben the mall is up ahead on your left."

Ben pulled up into the crowded parking lot and we all filed out of the car heading inside.  We entered the mall and I watch as people milled around oblivious of the hell we were going through.  How I would give anything to not have a care in the world, but shop. We all moved in our group following the signs for the food court to find a place to nest and wait.