Chapter 34

We spent an enjoyable time at dinner with light-hearted conversation. Despite my misgivings, Todd was funny and charming. I wanted to ask questions about werewolves but didn't want to be overheard by his kind. It scared me that there was no way to tell them apart from us. We left the restaurant heading to Todd's car. Todd was very attentive to my needs opening doors, pulling out my chair, ordering my food based on my likes and dislikes. He was a true gentlemen treating me like a princess. His boyish smile was contagious and even with mild flirting he remained respectful. Even with all of that, there was no spark. No fire that I had with Colin. Although Colin infuriated me to no end, the desire, no the burning need that I have for Colin was absent around Todd. Safely buckled in the car and heading home it was time to ask questions.

"Todd tell me more about your kind."

"What would you like to know?" his eyes remained glued to the road and I studied his profile.

"How many are there of you?"

"Town, state, or worldwide." His lips twitched into a teasing smile.

"All of the above."

"My pack over 100, tens of thousands in the state, hundreds of thousands in the country, and millions worldwide. No exact number because we don't have a census." He chuckled.

"Really, and I thought you were well organized?" laughing in return. "OK is there any way us mere humans can tell you apart?"

"Yes, by our mark."

"Tell me more about the mark." my curiosity peaked I was eager to hear their secrets.

Todd had been circling my block while we talked. "This is not a discussion we should be having in the car. Can I come up? I will answer all your questions?" Giving him permission with a quick nod, he pulled up to my apartment building shutting off the engine.

A few minutes later, Todd was sitting on the couch and I was fixing us a glass of water. Placing the glasses on the coffee table in front of the couch, I sat at arms length away from him.

"I want you to come closer." Todd smiled at me. I was a little hesitant but I followed his orders. He folded his ear forward, "Look behind my ear." I leaned in and saw a tattoo made up of swirls. It was pretty small and if he didn't point it out to me I wouldn't have notice it.

"What is it?"

"It's my mark. All males have a mark behind their right ear. Females also have a mark behind their right ear. But females will have two marks, when they find their mate. The one behind her ear is her family's mark from her father. Her mate will mark her here." Todd's finger lightly caressed the base of my neck I pulled back from his hungry eyes creating space between us.

I cleared my throat to break his stare and he quickly retreated. The hunger erased from his eyes and he returned to his boyish smile. "Who came first, werewolf or man?"

"That is still debated among us to this day. Some say that the first animals created by God carried with them the power of God's DNA in their blood. They lived for hundreds of years evolving as the world grew. When God introduce man, man started to multiple and hunger for the taste of animal. Men insatiable need for meat created a food storage for the wolves. They both hunted for the same animals and one day a lone wolf driven to the point of starvation mistaken a human for a deer. Once he bit the man, the power of God intertwined with the man's blood. Making his blood half wolf and half human. On a full moon the man would change into a wolf. Driven by the urges of the wolf, he went on a feeding frenzy. Eating animals and humans alike. But he didn't eat all humans, for some he was only able to bite them. That bite infected them with the animal godlike DNA, but not as strong as the first one created. The blood became diluted and so did animal instinct. As time wore on we were more human than wolf. Although our bodies transformed into wolves and we have a lot of wolf abilities, we also kept hold to our human minds. Now we have evolved where we can transform into our wolves at will while maintaining the human intellect."

"So you are basically a man trapped inside of a wolf?"

"Yes."

"So why doesn't the bite transform a human into a wolf anymore?"

"We don't carry the blood from God. That is why you are born with the werewolf gene."

"Then explain why you have human mates?"

"Celeste somewhere in your family tree there had to have been a werewolf. For some reason it was weeded out of your family tree over time. Your werewolf ancestor was most likely killed off. In the beginning werewolves were feared and killed by human hunting parties."

"What's the other theory?"

"That ancient man perform rituals and during one of these rituals, God granted them the power of the wolf. Of course, this power came at a price. Several men were granted the power of the wolf and on the first full moon they were transformed into wolves. They didn't realize that they would remain a wolf. Still trying to cling to their human life they begged God to return them to their human form. God decided to be merciful and allowed them to regain their human form. Only at a cost, they would forever be tied to their wolf. And just like Adam and Eve, God allowed their wives to be transformed into wolves through the marking processing so they would have a mate for the rest of their lives."

I mulled over both stories about the creation of werewolf, both fascinating and scary. "Which do you believe?"

Todd shrugged, "To me it doesn't matter. I am what I am. Celeste I know this is a lot to take in, but you are my mate and I need you." Todd reached for my hands pulling them to his chest. "I promise that our life together will be perfect, if you give me a chance." His heart raced against the palm of my hand.

Shaking my head, "Todd I need time. Please can you give me that?" Todd brought my hands up to his lips brushing them softly. I shifted uncomfortable with the small show of intimacy.

"Yes, I will give you time." His lips lingered on my knuckles before letting them go. I stood up quickly ready for him to leave. Taking my lead, Todd rose from the couch and walk slowly to the door. Reaching for my hand again, I itched to yank it out of his grasp, a cool piece of metal laid across my palm. "I forgot to return your house key." He let go of my hand his glare becoming intense.

My hands curled around the key. "Thank you."

Opening the door I step back away from him. Todd's eyes roamed my face landing on my lips. I turned my head to the side to avoid the kiss. I stiffened as Todd's hand went behind my neck and he placed a kiss on my forehead. "Good night Celeste."

"Good night." I responded quickly. I had made up my mind. Closing the door I turned both locks pondering on how I was going to get out of here.