Chapter 33

I gratefully pushed opened the door to the diner barely making it before complete darkness took over outside. With the last rays of daylight fading into black, the brightly lit diner showcase only a few people enjoying their food. The sound of the bell sang my arrival getting attention from Lulu. Her eyes shone with happiness as she waved me towards the counter. She flew from behind the counter before I reached the stools engulfing me in a bear hug.

"Oh my gosh, honey I thought something had happened to you! We haven't seen you around here in forever!" She gushed not giving me a chance to respond before encasing me into another bear hug. She held me at arms length scanning my face. "How are you, honey?"

"I've been better." giving her a ghost of a smile.

"Come with me. Kevin taking my break. Watch the front. You follow me." I meekly went briefly waving at Kevin.

I followed Lulu behind the counter and through the kitchen to another door. The door opened and reveal another part of the building that I didn't know existed. It was an apartment. It opened up into a huge living room with a couple of doors on the right and a set of stairs on the left. There was another room beyond the living room, but I couldn't tell what it was because Lulu opened a side door. I entered the windowless room which turned out to be an office. Lulu shut the door motioning me to take a seat on a small leather couch. Lulu walked over to bookcase behind the oak desk switching on music.

"Tell me what's wrong." Lulu had turned around one of the chairs that was facing the desk placing it directly in front of me. She picked up my hands giving them a squeeze.

"You look horrible. I was so worried about you." Her eyes were filled with worried and concern.  

I debated how much I should divulge. I didn't want to drag her in this crazy world if she ignorant. Because ignorance is bliss! "I don't know where to start?"

"How about the beginning, when Derrick chased you out of town."

"You know about that?"

"Of course, this town ain't that big, honey. You'd be amazed at what I know about this town."

"So you know?" stressing my last word giving her a direct gaze.

"Yes honey I know about 'them' and no I'm not one. Do you think I like listening to this rock stuff? The walls have ears and the music keeps what we say private." I release a gush of air that I was holding. "So tell me what happened?"

I felt like the world was lifted from my shoulders while I gave her the highlights of what I've been through with Colin and his family.  I told her everything from Colin hiding the truth of his true identity, his claim that I was his mate, about Sean, and of course how Ridley brought me back here.  Lulu didn't interrupt allowing me to finish.  We both were silent for a few minutes and I began to wonder If it was the right thing to do. Lulu stood up looking down at me thoughtfully.

"That is some story."

"I know and I don't know what to do? who to believe?"

"What does your mind say?'

"That this is some crazy shit and I should run and never look back!"

"And your heart?"

That was a great question and one I was scared to voice out loud. "That I belong with Colin.  That being with him and his family is right.  They are home."

"So listen to both."

"What do you mean?"

"Give yourself a day or two to really think about your future.  Can you accept Colin for all his parts?  Ask yourself, if you can be happy with or without Colin in your life." 

"There's one more thing I have to tell you.  Todd.  He told me that I was his mate.  Is that even possible?"

"I don't think so.  But I'm not an expert on werewolves.  But I've never heard of someone having two mates.  Let me find out.  Come back tomorrow for lunch." A loud knock surprised both of us.  "Kevin must be antsy." Lulu went to unlock the door and open it.  Todd stood there still dressed in his police uniform.  I frowned at his presence.  Was he following me or checking up on me?

"Ladies, sorry to intrude.  I was getting a bite of dinner and Kevin told me that you two were back here.  I wanted to make sure I caught you Celeste before you left.  Thought you might need a ride home.  Didn't want you walking in the dark alone."

"Well isn't that sweet chief, you thinking about Celesete's safety." Lulu placed her her hands in the crook of Todd's arm ushering him back into the diner. Todd looked back at me smiling.

"I might have an ulterior motive. Like getting a beautiful woman to eat dinner with me." I was reflecting on Lulu's words earlier and not really listening at their discussion.  "Celeste?"

"Hmmmm..." Todd stood at the connecting door waiting for my answer.

"Will you have dinner with me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Of course."  I had more questions that I wanted to ask him. Dinner was perfect. "I will see you tomorrow Ms. Lulu." I followed Todd through the kitchen and back into the diner.  Todd made a move to the exit holding the door open for me when Lulu called me back into the diner. "I'll be right back.  Meet you outside." Todd stepped outside and I headed back to counters where Lulu held a jacket for me.  

"Ms. Lulu this isn't mine."

"Oh silly me, I thought it was."  She paused and grabbed my hand before I could turn around to leave. "Be careful." Lulu whispered her eyes staring behind me. I turned around to see what had got her attention. There was no one behind me except for Todd outside talking into his cell phone.