Chapter 9

One hour later I was no closer finding any hidden mysteries. I retraced the path me and Vicki took and encountered people along the way. For the most part, I got curious glances and a couple of 'are you lost' questions. I discovered the recreation center that had the bowling alley and indoor pool but they were void of people. I entered the technology center, I believe that is what Vicki said it was called. I was immediately greeted by a friendly, cute Hispanic woman working as the receptionist.

"Hi, may I help you?"

"Ummm, no I was just looking around. You know just checking out the place."

"You must be Celeste." Her hazel eye looked at me for confirmation.

"Yes, how'd you know?"

"Everyone is talking about you."

"Really what are they saying?"

"Nothing much. Mostly about you finding Mr. Wright."

"Wright? Oh you mean Colin."

"Yes, hold on a sec. Raven Industries may I help you? Hold please." I watched as she took on a couple of more calls and patch them through to the requested person.

"So you have me at a disadvantage. You know my name but I don't know yours?"

"Sorry, It's April."

"Hi April, so what exactly do you all do here?"

"A little bit of everything. Let's see we have the real estate department, stock brokerage firm, financial consultant firm, computer department, security firm, law firm, umm.. let's see I know there is more." She looked down flipping through a book.

"Enough. No more. I get it you are like a conglomerate. A company that dabbles in various field of business."

"Yep that us. Oh we also do construction."

"Wow I'm impressed. So you grow up here, go to college, come back and work in the field of your choice."

"Some of us do that. While others want to try other things that are not available here. You know like fine arts stuff. It's very business oriented here not much for creative people."

"You seem to be talking from experience?"

"Well I'm into graphic arts and design but here I don't fit into any category."

"So why don't you leave?"

"My family is here and its not safe out there unless you have a mate."

"A mate?"

A look of horror flash across her face for a second before she covered it up. "What I meant to say is that you know I don't feel safe out there alone. If I had family or friends or even a boyfriend I would feel safer."

I'm sure that is not what she meant but I let her off the hook by not questioning it any further. I didn't want to appear like I was snooping. She seemed like a sweet girl and I didn't want to put her off. "Well I will let you get back to work." She smiled and looked relieved as she gave me a quick wave bye.

Well I had another hour before I had to sneak back into the main building and meet Natalie. My feet took me to a place that I had been avoiding all morning. I knew I would wind up here eventually. I entered the dark theater not bothering to turn on any lights. It took a few seconds before my eyes adjusted to the darkness and then I notice that the floor lights were on. I followed the lights and let them guide me down the aisle to the stage where the piano sat beckoning me. I sat on the bench my hands resting on the cover and I took a deep breath and lifted it.

The stage was covered in darkness and I didn't need a light to show me where to put my fingers. My fingers danced over the keys hitting the familiar notes that I've know all my life. I started out simple with songs that I learned when I was just a little kid to progress on to more complicated music. I closed my eyes as my fingers continue to produce the lovely notes they made when they hit each key. My memories flashed through my head starting with my mother. Memories of her laugh as I sat as a child on her lap learning to play the piano. Sounds of my father encouraging me to play one of his favorite songs. I continue on the memory train as bits and pieces went by as a blur. Winning first place at piano recital when I was ten, sitting in the audience gazing up at my mom as she played on piano in front of thousands, and my dad chasing me around and twirling me in the air.

Tears flowed down my face as I got closer and closer to THE song. I haven't played it since that fateful night over a year ago. My fingers stopped hovering over the keys. I couldn't bring myself to play it. An explosion of clapping and whistles crashed around me and I knew instantly I was not alone. I looked out to the seats and spotted several kids sitting midway from the stage smiling and cheering me on. Thank god I was shrouded in the darkness and they couldn't see that I was crying. I shut the lid and turned my back on the kids briefly while I cleaned my face with my shirt. Thank goodness it was kids that heard me and not adults.

"That was great!"

"Can you play another song!"

"Pweeassee!"

"More, more!"

"Can you play Dora the Explorer?"

The kid's gushed at me all at once that it was hard to make out where they were saying. I laughed and stepped down the stage walking towards them.

"Now what are you all doing here? Aren't you suppose to be in school or something?"

"School was cancelled." The tallest and oldest boy spoke on the behalf of his peers. The others nodded in agreement.

"Can you play another song?" a cute little girl with ringlets asked.

"I'm done for the day." It was hard to resist the sad looks and pouting mouths I got from the girls. "How about tomorrow?" That immediately lifted their moods. Wait a minute, did I just get manipulate by a bunch of kids.

"So do you know any kid songs?" the oldest boy asked.

"A couple. Are there any that you all would like to hear?"

"Dora the Explorer!"

"Fighting song! Like the power rangers!"

"Ok I will see what I can do. But first what are your names? I'm Celeste."

"Robbie." The eldest boy said. "And that is Janey, my sister." Janey was the girl with the ringlets.

"I'm Steven." he was one that wanted the power rangers song.

"Wendy."

"Peppa."

"Michael."

"Diego."

"Harry."

"Well it was nice meeting all of you. I will meet you here after school. What time does it get out?"

"Two o'clock." Robbie answered. He was definitely their spokesman.

I glanced down at my watch. I had only fifteen minutes before I had to meet Natalie.

"Bye Luna!" Janey waved at me.

"Wait, why did you call me Luna."

Robbie gave her a warning stare and tears formed in the little girls eyes. I dropped to my knees in front of her and gave her a quick hug. "Don't cry. You don't have to tell me. I will forget you even said it." Janey looked at her brother quickly and she nodded back at me.

I walked away from the group of kids heading back to the main building. Although I want to get answers, interrogating a five year old child was not the way to go. I need to interrogate someone much older and not afraid to tell me what the hell is going on.