Chapter 2

I have been in this small town for almost two weeks.  It was a quaint little town of about five thousand residents.  Its tucked away in the middle of nowhere surrounded by national forest parks. It had almost everything that you would need.  It was comprised of one school that housed all grades, a library, a theater, grocery stores, and a recreational park that had any sport you can think of. The small downtown area that was composed of restaurants, stores, city hall, and police station. Bikes and walking were the main modes of transportation for the residents.

It was a friendly town and that is why I chose it.  A place that is so unlike the one I left so I could forget.  It was hard living in a city full of memories that haunted you down every street you turned.

     I slammed the trunk of my royal blue Camaro, grasping on the bundle of grocery bags in each hand.  I hated to make several trips up and down the stairs to my apartment, so I tried to do it all at once no matter how cumbersome it was.  I guess I appeared like I was struggling because I caught the attention of Officer Ridley. He has an apartment directly under mine.  When I first moved in, the reality of a policeman living under me made me feel safe.  That was until I met him.

"Let me help you with those, Celeste." he grabbed my bags out of my hands amid my protests.

"Really that isn't necessary." I followed behind him up to my apartment.

"I am the officer of the law, I am here to serve and protect.  It's really no problem."

I unlock the door and step inside holding the door open for him.  It wasn't that I was ungrateful, it just that I felt uncomfortable around him.  He followed every move I made devouring me with his lustful eyes.  I stayed at my post by the opened door not wanting to be alone with him. I gave him a half of a smile, "Thanks for your help. You can put them on the kitchen counter."

He followed my orders, his eyes sweeping around my apartment noticing several boxes.  "I see you haven't unpacked yet?"

"No, taking my time." He paused at the entrance of my doorway.

"Well if you need any help, please let me know and I would be happy to help you."  His voice dropped an octave and he brushed his body against mine as he turned to leave.

"Thanks for the offer, but I will be ok."  He shrugged his shoulders heading for the stairs.

"Make sure to keep your doors and windows locked.  You can't be too careful being a single, beautiful young lady living alone." He winked at me and left.

     I quickly shut the door turning both locks and let out a big sigh, resting my back against the door. No matter how hard I try to make myself unnoticeable, I fail.  I hated that word, beautiful.  That word was the bane of my existence, it meant getting unwanted attention from the male species and hatred from the females.  

     I walked to the kitchen and put away my groceries and placed a pizza in the oven. I looked around at the boxes that were strewn around.  I really didn't have a lot of things. I needed to do more shopping but really didn't feel up to it.  It wasn't like I had tons of friends and were going to invite people over to entertain.  I glanced around the spacious apartment and really loved it.  It had two bedrooms  each with its own full bathroom and a half of bathroom near the kitchen for guests.  It had hardwood floors throughout with a living room and a huge bay window in the dining room. The light fixtures in each room were attach to ceiling fans expect for the dining room which had a huge chandelier in the center.  

     My furniture consisted of one couch in the living room and a TV entertainment center that housed my 35" flat screen TV and stereo.  I have  a small round table with two wooden chairs in the dining room.  And last but not least a four poster, queen size bed in my room.  That was it. I had no decorations, no pictures, and no plants.

     I noticed a pink slip of paper on the stove. Finally they have fixed the shower in my bathroom.  Maintenance had to order some parts for the newly renovated bathroom in my room.  I have been taking a shower in the guest bedroom which was smaller and not as grand as the master suite. I entered the bathroom and immediately went to the shower opening the glass door. I tested out the faucet and sure enough water cascaded out of the shower head.

     My thoughts drifted back to Officer Ridley.  I had to make sure to stay off his radar.  I wasn't sure what I could do to my appearance.  I glanced in the bathroom mirror, I didn't wear any makeup and I pulled my honey blonde hair back into a tight bun to disguise its length. I knew what drew most men in were my eyes. The common reference to my eyes were that they are alluring and captivating. They were different a clear almost silver in color and as some have describe it as glowing.  It wasn't only the color of my eyes but the size, they were huge like one of those babies you see on the side of a diaper box.  I tried to hide them by wearing sunglasses whenever I was outside and even bought a light tinted pair to wear inside.  But the sunglasses didn't always help, in fact it made me look mysterious and men wanted to see what was behind the glasses.  Beeping noise reminded me to feed my tummy which was begging for a slice of the pepperoni pizza I stuck in the oven fifteen minutes ago.