Chapter 4

It's official. I'm bored. I have been here for three weeks and accomplished nothing. Not that I was aspiring to do anything. But it has been almost a week since I left my apartment since the run in with Officer Ridley. My days were filled with me laid out on the couch watching TV or reading one of the books I checked out of the library. Everytime I attempted to get up and out of the house I slumped back down, it required too much energy.

I lived in darkness shutting out the world. The only light that was present came from glare of the TV and sunlight that peeked between the window shade. Here in this place I was not surrounded by well meaning friends that harassed me constantly to get out of the house. Here I didn't have people around me always looking at me with pity and telling me that they understand what I'm going through. How can they when I didn't even know. The only thing I knew was that I wanted to be left alone. I needed to get out and get some fresh air. Plus I was running low on some supplies. I glance out of the living room that overlooked the parking lot. Whew. No police car. This would be the best time to leave avoiding another encounter with Officer Ridley.

I pulled into a vacant spot in front of the diner that was located on the end of the row of shops on Main Street. Downtown comprised of several streets that was littered with mom and pop stores and a couple of high end clothing stores. I had eaten at this diner a couple of times and fell in love with Ms. Lulu's pecan pie. She said she has the picture perfect pecans flown in from one of the southern states. She swears the pecans are the reason her pie is the best in town. After one bite, I had to agree. It was midday and the diner was quiet only a few patrons sitting at the booths. I liked sitting at the counter where I could talk with Ms. Lulu and Kevin. I loved listening to Ms. Lulu talked with her southern accent as she buzzed around the diner greeting customers and taking orders.

"Hello Celeste, its been awhile."

"Hi Kevin, yeah I've been a shut-in lately."

"Well I'm glad you decided to join the living."

"To be honest, I missed Ms. Lulu's pecan pie."

"I'm hurt and I thought you missed my company." I laughed at that because Kevin had to be in his late fifties.

"You know I couldn't handle you."

"Now Kevin, leave that poor girl alone, you old fart." Ms. Lulu walked behind the counter shooting me a friendly smile.

I tried hiding my giggles behind a menu at Ms. Lulu shooing Kevin away. "Sorry Celeste, I forgot how jealous Lulu gets when I speak to younger women!" Ms. Lulu then swatted at Kevin's chest with her order pad. "Ow that hurt Lulu. You know you are my one and only."

"Hush your mouth! You are too old for me too! Now git. I have an order number three that needs fixin."

Kevin gave me a parting wink and went back to the kitchen to cook up Ms. Lulu's order. I could sit here all day and watch them banter back and forth. Ms. Lulu was a healthy woman in her forties with dark brown, curly hair that stopped right above her shoulders and a vivacious personality. Kevin was the only person I've ever seen call her Lulu. I remember one of the last conversation I had with her, I asked why people called her Ms. Lulu and not just Lulu. She said it was a southern thing and I left it at that. I could tell that there was a little undercurrent of romance between the two, but they never showed it in public.

"I was getting a little worried about you Celeste. You haven't been around in days. Is every alright?" Ms. Lulu sat down on the barstool next to me.

"I'm ok." I looked down at the menu not wanting her to see the sadness in my eyes. She patted my hand before rising from the stool.

"Well if you need anyone to talk to. I'm here. I know you are new to town and don't know anybody, my door is always open."