Resistance

***Well, hello! So here's the 5th book in the Descendants Series! No, you don't have to read the four before it to get this one, though there will be some characters coming back from the epilogue of Subsequence! ;D So hope you love it just as much as I loved writing it! These last 3 in the series are probably my favorite that I've ever written!***

Prologue

Seven Years Before

Every television in Chicago was on, as well as all around the nation.

It was a time of trouble in the United States and it did not look like things were going to change any time soon. The stock market was in trouble, jobs were being lost, and everything was three times more expensive, except gas prices, which had risen to over ten dollars a gallon in two months. Times were changing, but for the worst.

Every person in America was gathered around a television, whether at home or at a restaurant or anywhere there was one. No matter what they had been doing, whether they were at school or at work, everything was at a standstill.

The president appeared on the screen. Many people didn't like him and blamed him for how the United States was weakening. Even though they thought nothing good of him, every citizen gathered to watch and hear what he would say.

"We are in a time of great distress," the president began, "but right now we need to gather together and try to pull through with each other at our side. Issues will arise and they will be resolved, but it will take time." The president went on, explaining everything not only had to be done by the government, and also by the people.

Over the next six months, things became even more severe. The government didn't even pay attention to anything that was happening, but they kept up streams of reassurances and promised that everything would be taken care of.

Only that never happened.

More jobs were lost and at a rapid pace. Gas prices skyrocketed again, putting it to over fifteen times more than it had been a year and a half earlier. People were becoming more furious than they had ever been before. No one could afford anything because the government placed higher taxes to make up for the loss in the economy. They were trying to help the people, but it wasn't going the way they had planned. Businesses were failing. Houses were being lost to foreclosure. The economy was declining at such a swift pace that predictions suspected that it was five times worse than the Great Depression, which had happened nearly a hundred and fifty years earlier.

The United States reached out for help from other countries, but for the fear of having their countries fail also, no one reached back.

Disputes broke out between citizens, as well as government officials, across the country. Fights and protests were trying to be controlled, but unsuccessfully.

Chicago was one of the worst. Fights and bomb threats happened on average thirty times a day. Most of the fights ended badly, with many dead or critically injured. As the threats continued, everything became more and more chaotic. The only way the government could find some control was to go to their last resort: sending in armies of soldiers to all of the cities caught up in the chaos.

The people naturally joined together to defeat the soldiers, only their efforts ended disastrously. Threats were not successful, so the next step had to be put into action.

Bombings killed many innocent people around the nation, including children. Cities and towns were destroyed. After the death toll reached to over six hundred million, things began to settle down and the government abandoned everything and everyone, only making sure that they themselves were protected.

But a few months after the thousands of attacks, a new power began to rise. This new city became stronger as weeks passed, but no one knew how. No one and nothing was going in and no one and nothing was coming out. Rumors started to float around about the new city, and its technological advances.

The city and its leaders were soon known as the Directrix.

***Bum, bum, BUM!!!1 Freaky, right?!? LOVE IT! :D

Comment, Vote, and Like!!!1***