Chapter 41. Promise me.

Me and Bennet were laying on his sofa watching some old football games. My head rested on his lap, as we waited for the 90th minute to approach.
Ding dong!
"Is that your doorbell?" I asked. He frowned and nodded.
"Who could possibly be here right now?" He muttered. I sat up and turned to him. He stood up and headed to the door. I paused the television and checked my phone. It was 1 in the morning. He was right, who on earth rings the door bell at 1 in the morning. I sat in silence waiting for him to return to the room so we could continue. I heard Bennet's and a disembodied voice, I didn't recognise the voice so it wasn't anyone I knew. Unless it was Bennet's friend or business partner I didn't know, I was uncertain of who it was. I tapped my finger nails against the television remote. I checked them and realised I had chipped my index fingers red nail polish.
"I hate nail polish." I muttered under my breath to myself. I had only applied that yesterday after school. Me and Bennet woke up about midnight after I fell asleep on his chest. We decided to watch old football as there was nothing on that we wanted to watch. Bennet had recorded several match of the day's and a few football games that he hadn't come around to watching yet. I heard the front door close but no movement.
"Bennet?" I called out, no response.
"Bennet, is everything okay??" I shouted a little louder, standing up and walking towards the room exit. No respond still. I turned the corner and walked down the hallway where Bennet stood by the door.
"Bennet, are you alright??" I asked putting my hand on his shoulder. He turned around at my touch, his eyes glistening like crystals. The water on the edge of his eyes looked ready to spill.
"He's gone." He whispered not looking me in the eyes.
"Who is? What happened?" I quizzed concern lacing my voice.
"My uncle, he's been... He's been..."
"Bennet?"
"Murdered, he's been murdered." He spoke quietly.
"What the hell?!? How?!?" I rushed out of my mouth.
"Someone broke into his house, he called the police but they were too late, when they got there he had been shot, straight to the head. There was nothing they could do. They caught the guy they said, but that doesn't make up for their pathetic efforts." His voice lowered. A small tear escaped his eye.
"Bennet, I'm so sorry." I said welling up myself.
"You shouldn't need to be, you wouldn't have even known him if it weren't for me. Heck, your life would probably have been better without me anyway." He whispered.
"Bennet, what the hell are you on about? I love yo-"
"No Ell, don't say it. Don't say those words. Not to me, you'll regret them. Everyone who ever said that to me has died. My mum. My dad. My sister. My uncle. My cousin. They're all dead, all because of me."
"Bennet, no. None of those deaths were your fault, none. Don't ever say that." I said cupping his face wiping away the tears that were gently falling down his face.
"Then don't tell me you love me. In fact, I want you to tell me you hate me. Tell me you never want to see me again. That you never loved me and meeting me was a mistake. That tonight was a mistake and me taking you away was a mistake. Tell me to forget you. At least then, when I try to stop loving you, it'll be easier."
"I can't tell you those things Bennet. Because they're all the opposite of what I want to say." He backed away from me, he looked at me with sorry eyes before walking towards his room. I followed him up the stairs. I stood outside his door as he had closed it.
"Bennet, please come out!" I talked through the door. I heard nothing.
"Please." I whispered pathetically. I sighed deeply and felt a small drop of water fall on my face. I wiped the tear away.
"I'll be downstairs if you need me." I stated through the door before heading down the stairs. After about 10 minutes I heard Bennet coming down the stairs I didn't say anything in case he just came down for a glass of water or something. I waited in the kitchen for his arrival, but he didn't show. Then I heard the front door shut. Maybe he just wants some air. But then, he would've told me. He would have said that he was going for a walk and to not wait for him. He left his jacket on the kitchen table as well. Well then, he isn't going for a walk. Then it clicked in my head. My eyes shot wide open and I ran towards the front door, I slipped on some shoes and grabbed my car keys. I ran to my car and tucked in the wipers was I note. I pulled it out and read it.
Dear Ellen,
I'm sorry it has to be this way. But it does. You see, nothing has gone right since the day I was alive, and people are dying now, people close to me. I don't want you to be one of them. I know it will be hard, it always is, but you'll make it through. Just hug your loved ones tighter. You still have your brother, Zack, Amber and Chris. Loads of other people too. Promise me you'll never forget me. I know our pact, I save you, you save me. I'm saving you, but don't save me. It's too late. I was already messed up and you couldn't save me anyway. You will stay within my heart forever and ever, so promise me, don't ever lose me.
Bennet.
P.S I love you too.
"No! No, no, no! Not now Bennet! Not ever!!" I ran into my car, putting the note on the passenger seat. Where did he say he would do this? Somewhere high, somewhere like a tall building or a bridge... The bridge. The metal bridge that goes over the highway. That's where he'll be. I know it. I sped off down the street, I hoped I'd catch up to him. He can't leave me, not now, not ever. I was so close to the bridge when I hit a red light. I looked past the traffic light and saw his motorbike parked by the bridge.
"Come on! Come on!!" I shouted as the lights turned Amber. I sped round the corner and parked my car on the curb. I grabbed my car keys and shoved them in my pocket as I ran to the edge. I saw Bennet about to climb over.
"Bennet don't do this!!" I yelled. He spun around, his eyes bloodshot and tear-stained.
"I have to Ell!" He shouted as I got closer. He threw one leg over the railing.
"Bennet no." I cried. I felt the tears streaming down my face.
"I'm sorry." He whispered.
"No!"