Chapter 27. Mocking.

Hesitantly, I opened my eyes again. I was where I was before. In the same hospital bed. This time, I was alone, no one was around. At the end of the bed were several 'sorry for your loss' cards and flowers. I glared at them. The flowers and the cards. They just keep reminding me. I think I can deal with it now, if only those cards weren't mocking me. They laughed at me, pointing fingers at me and laughing until they had to hold their stomachs. I sat up with incredible slowness. My head hurt and the room was spinning. But no one ever got anywhere sitting around. I looked around the room. One wall had a painting of a sunset, while the opposite just had the headboard of the current bed I was resting on. The walls to the side were empty. One was just cream paint and the other was mostly windows and a door. The corridor outside was empty. Rooms across the hall were silent, the whole building seemed empty like a ghost town. Then I looked at the end of the bed again. Those cards and flowers again. Sorry for your loss my ass. Half the people who said they cared obviously didn't, or we wouldn't be in the situation that we are in. I say we, which brings me discomfort, who is we? Do I mean me and my father? My family? I don't know anymore. But what I do know is a I can't take one more moment of mocking. I stand up gradually and gain balance. I slowly walk to to the cards. I pick one up and read it.
Dearest Mitchell family,

We are sorry to hear about your loss. He will be greatly missed. Together at last though.
Sincerely,
The Armstrong's.
Mitchell family. Mitchell family. The word itself is a joke. I picked the card up and stared at it. A long while passed, and the build up of laughter was like a punch to the face. I let a silent tear fall upon the page. I wiped it smearing the writing of the calligraphy. Shame. I threw the card on the ground. I smiled slightly. I then picked up another card. I didn't read this one. I just tore it in half and threw it on the ground. Countless cards were thrown and each time was more weightlifting than the other. All the cards were gone. But the flowers remained. I picked up a vase of flowers. I grabbed the flowers and held them. I pored the water on the floor before dropping the vase. It smashed. Then I saw all the other vases and I wiped my hand across the table, knocking all of them onto the floor. Each smashing into uncountable pieces. I began crying. I fell to the floor landing on the glass I felt some shattered pieces piercing through my skin.
"Help me!" I screamed through tears. A nurse came rushing in from the silent corridor.
"Oh, Darling, what happened?!?" She cried. She rushed over holding me up by the arms.
"I fell." I said slowly. I hoped she would believe me. Apart from the ripped up card it did look like an accident.
"Oh, well, why don't I get some new vases for these flowers?"
"No." I spoke firmly. "It doesn't matter, I just want to go home." I said honestly. She looked at me before treading me over to the bed. I sat on it and lifted my feet up.
"Sure, I'll get a doctor to check out those cuts and someone to clean up the mess." She said before walking out the door. I watched her walk out the door and along the corridor. Then I saw my reflection in the mirror. My ginger hair was all knotted and my make up smudged. I was wearing a hospital outfit but noticed my clothes in the far corner. I walked past the broken glass and picked them up. I changed slowly, but not putting on any trousers, when I was half reclothed I stood facing the window. Staring at my reflection again, I then noticed a figure behind my reflection. He wasn't in the room, he was behind the glass. Staring at me. I squinted before realising it was Blake. He smiled at me weakly. I smiled back. Somehow he looked happier. Happier than normal. He approached the door and walked in.
"Blake." I whispered.
"Hey." He said, I smiled, a familiar voice, one I hadn't heard in a while.
"You seem happier." I whispered. He smiled before walking closer.
"Yeah, I'm on new medication. It's actually working. For once. How are you feeling?" He quizzed.
"Fine. I'm fine." I whispered. He looked at me with his hazel eyes. He put his hand on my shoulder.
"I want to thank you Ell, for being such a great sister." He said. The door opened and someone came in to clean the floor. Blake looked at the mess and then me.
"Did you do that?" He mouthed. I nodded.
"Why?" He mouthed at me. I shrugged. He pressed his lips together. Then he hugged me tight. Then he turned and walked towards the door.
"Blake!" I exclaimed. He spun around frantically.
"I love you." I whispered. He smiled at me.
"I love you too." He returned. Then he walked out. The doctor came in.
"Looks like you're almost ready to leave Miss Mitchell? I've spoken to a Miss Armstrong, she said she'll happily look after you for a few days and if anything concerns her, she'll bring you back." I nodded at him. He shook my hand and I turned around. He pulled the glass out of my thighs then bandaged me up quick.  I then walked away. I stepped outside. I looked left and right, both ways were just ends to a corridor. I saw some signs and followed them to the waiting room. Shockingly enough, I don't even know my own way round my towns hospital. I got to the waiting area, the only people there was Mrs Armstrong and Jake. Blake must've left. I don't know why Jake was here, he doesn't like me. I walked over to them. Christina engulfed me in an embrace.
"I am glad you are okay, sweetie! Let's go get your stuff from the front desk and then we will leave." I nodded and followed her. I got my phone pieces back and my school bag and other stuff back from what I had.
"You cannot have that phone, look at it! It is completely obliterated. Jake, do your loving mother a favour and drive her to the nearest phone shop, Ellen needs a new phone." She ordered at Jake.
"No, it's fine, I don't need one."
"Honestly, do not be silly, we will get you one." She insisted. Arguing would be pointless so I just agreed. On the walk to the car Christina walked way in front and I walked next to Jake. I looked at my feet, I tried speeding up, he just caught up. I tried slowing down, he slowed down also.
"Why do you seem so adamant on staying so close to me? I thought you hated me?" I questioned him. He shrugged then put his hands in his pockets.
"Call it a friendly gesture, but I still hate you." He spoke.
"If you hate me, why do you suddenly care?"
"I know how much you mean to Jason."  He said looking at me.
"Never stopped you before."  I muttered. He grabbed my arm and stopped me.
"Have you ever considered that maybe I don't hate you? Maybe I have other reasons to treat you the way I do?" He almost shouted. I just winced and took a step back.
"I'm sorry, I just... I... Um... Never mind." He said. Then he began walking again.
"Jake?"
"What?" He snapped without turning, he just kept walking.
"What would be the other reason?"
"Jesus Christ. So many questions."
"Not enough answers right?" I said smiling.
"Yeah, precisely." He said grabbing my hand more gentle this time and tugging me along gently.