Chapter 10. I save you you save me.

I widened my eyes at Matt who widened his eyes back at me.
"Ell! Don't pretend it's not you because I know it is."
I closed my eyes and walked to the door. I fixed my dress and turned to Matt.
"Hide behind the shower curtain." I whispered. He climbed into the bath and behind the shower curtain.
I opened the door slightly and gave a weak smile. She looked me up and down, I realise I must be in a mess, I rushed into my clothes and haven't even got my shoes on. My pants are twisted, my hair is knotted, my dress is creased and no doubt my make up is a mess. Not to forget the several hickeys lined along my neck and collar bone.
"Alright Missy! I know you're not alone in here so where is he?" She asked.
"Amber no one is in here but me." I said quietly.
"Don't lie! I could hear not just female but male groans from the other side of the door. Who is it? It's Zack isn't it? That's why you went to find him! Oh Zacky boy! Where are you?!?" She called out, she pretend to call like a lady who'd lost her dog.
"Amber don't be stupid no body is in here but you and me." I tried to persuade her. She looked around the room like she was dumb before turning to me.
"You think I was born yesterday? Zack?!? Aha! The shower!!" She shouted like she was Sherlock Holmes who just solved a crime. She walked up to the shower curtain and looked at me. She smirked at me.
"Zacky boy?" She said mockingly as she pulled back the shower curtain. Matt stood there with a weak smile. He still hadn't done up his shirt or flies. He just stood there. His Calvin's on show and his bare chest along with several hickeys on his collar bone. Amber froze. I laughed nervously.
"I don't have anything with Zack." I stated awkwardly. She turned to me.
"Evidently!" She shouted. I couldn't tell if she was mad or happy.
"Hi Matt!" She said cheerfully.
"If you don't mind I'm going to steal Miss Mitchell for a moment. Feel free to continue your evening down stairs." She said politely before gripping my wrist tightly and pulling my down the corridor. I had my shoes in my hand and my bag in the other. She continued to pull me down the corridor until we reached the stairs. She pulled me down those and towards the garden. She got me outside in the garden on the tennis court which was empty.
"What the FUCK did I just witness?!?" She yelled hysterically.
"Me and Matt hiding in the bathroom." I said as a suggestion.
"No, no, no, no, no. I heard you and Matt having sex, didn't I? Then I almost walked in on you, didn't I? Then you tried to hide it from me, didn't you? Finally you pretend nothing happened, didn't you?"
"Yes, yes, sort of and maybe." I said with confidence.
"Ellen, you said you weren't getting in anymore relationships!"
"I'm not! Me and Matt just have fun sometimes." My voice getting fainter towards the end of my sentence.
"Sometimes?!? You mean this has happened more than once? How many times Ell?!? How many?!?" She was yelling at me again. I don't know why she was mad at me, she just was.
"Yes sometimes Amber! Yes it happens more than once! I don't know how many times Amber! It's happened so many!" Her jaw fell open.
"How long?" She said more calmly.
"2 weeks after I broke up with Jason." I said ashamed. I don't know why I said it that way. I'm not ashamed I slept with Matt on multiple occasions.
"Ell! How many people know?!?"
"At first it was just me and him, but Zack caught me and him today in the lake and you just now."
"In the lake? Ew, gross. Didn't you get like seaweed in your fanny? I don't know how to feel about this."
"Just pretend it never happened. Okay? Forget it. I don't know why you care so much to be honest. It's not like Matt is your boyfriend. No offence Amber, but it's nothing to do with you, oh and for the record. You don't get sea weed in your fanny." I walked alway. I could hear shouting my name but I refused to turn around. I was mad at her for being mad at me for no reason. I was walking through the crowds and I saw Zack and Matt talking. At least I know he recovered. I passed Jason, he didn't notice me thank god, he was talking to some bimbo who seemed to have ants in her pants. In fact they where all over her body because she couldn't stop rubbing herself up against him. I got outside and I realised I had no way of getting home. I pulled out my phone and opened the key pad. I saw a drop of water fall onto my phone. I looked to the sky, it wasn't raining. I realised I was crying. Why was I crying? Maybe because my best friend is mad at me for sleeping with a guy, but when she gets pregnant all I am is supportive, maybe because my brother is a drunk and I haven't seen him sober or healthy in a long time. Maybe because I might not see my dad for 6 months. Or maybe it's just I kept everything in for so long I just toppled and now I'm crashing and falling. I let out a sob and tears streamed down my face. I couldn't type because my hands were shaking. I just put my phone in my bag and began walking. I let out another sob.
"Ell? Are you okay?" I heard someone say. I turned around and saw Bennet.
"Bennet." I began sobbing again. He dropped his keys and ran up to me. He engulfed me in a hug. He put one of his hands on my head and the other on my shoulder. He stroked my hair. I sobbed into his shirt as I held onto the sides of his jacket.
"Ell, what happened?"
"Nothing- I'm fine." I choked out. He put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me back.
"Ell, don't lie to me, remember our deal, I save you, you save me. Now what happened." He asked calmly I felt my face crumple up and he hugged me again.
"That's it! I'm driving you home, I have my dads car and I haven't had a drink so I'll take you home, okay?" I nodded and he picked me up bridal style. He carried me across the street and bent down. He picked up his keys and unlocked a small white car. (I'm not good at cars so don't ask what it was.) he opened the passenger side and put me in. He did up my seat belt and looked at me. He stroked my hair out of my face and shut the door. He went round the other side and got in. He put his hand on my thigh as he started the car.
"You must be freezing. Here." He pulled his jacket off and put it over me. I hugged it closely. It smelled of him and it smelled really good. I gave him a grateful smile, he put his seat belt on and started the car. We drove in silence and occasionally he looked at me. I looked out the window and saw my reflection. My mascara and eyeliner was smudged and my hair a mess. My dress was all creased and I still didn't have my shoes on. Guess I should've thought of that.
"If you don't mind me asking," he began, I looked around at him, "how did you end up crying outside your ex-boyfriends house?" I shook my head and repositioned myself.
"I, um, I had a bit of a moment with someone, then Amber found me and started yelling at me, she hasn't had the best day, I haven't had the best life. It's like I'm on a tight rope and I topple every now and again but I'm fine. But today I toppled and fell. It seemed no one was going to catch me but then you showed up, thank you."
"It's fine, like we said, I save you, you save me." He put his hand back on my thigh as we pulled up outside my house. He looked at me before letting go of my leg and getting out. I undid my seatbelt and just as I went to open the door it was opened for me.
"Have you got your keys?" He asked me. I nodded and picked my bag up. I got my keys out and handed them to him. I picked my shoes up and got out the car. He picked me up bridal style again and carried me to my door. He unlocked the door and walked in.
"I presume your room is upstairs?" He asked. I nodded. He carried me up the stairs to the landing.
"Which door?" He asked. I pointed at my bedroom door. Still holding onto me, he opened my door and placed me on my bed.
"Wait here." He said I nodded and I sat still. He came back a minute later.
"I found your shower, it's on, go and shower, I'll be here when you get back." He said I nodded and went to my bathroom. Sure enough the shower was on and two towels were on the radiator. I showered washing all the dirt of my feet and conditioning my tangled hair. I stepped out and wrapped the warm towel around me. I put my hair in a turban and stepped out.
"Bennet?" I called.
"In here!" I heard someone shout back from my room. I went in and he had a pair of freshly folded pyjamas in his hands. He smiled and handed them to me.
"Get dressed, come downstairs when you're ready." He said. I did as he said and got dressed. I brushed my hair and removed my smudged make up. I now see why he smiled. I looked like a panda. I didn't care that he stood in my bedroom while I only had a towel to cover me. To be honest, I'm glad he found me, I'm glad he brought me home  and I'm even more glad that he stayed and made sure I was okay.
I stepped down the stairs and went through to my kitchen. I looked up and I saw Bennet facing the hob, I stared at him for a second, he seemed to be stirring something.
"Bennet?" I said, he spun around really fast.
"I hope you don't mind, but I made us dinner, I know it's late, but I just wanted to talk." I nodded.
He placed some spaghetti bolognese on the table and I sat down.
"Tell me what happened, please." I took a deep breath in.
"Promise you won't judge me for any of it?"
"Promise."
"Okay well-"