Chapter 25. It's not what friends do.

Jason had told me hundreds times already this morning that what happened wasn't my fault, but even as we sit in the car now driving to school, I can't help but feel responsible.
Jason pulled up and I got out of the car. His whole group was stood waiting for him, including Bennet. I smiled at him but he just turned away. Taken off guard by this, I stepped back, right into Jason's chest. He put his hands firmly around my waist in response. Then I span around and faced him.
"I'll see you later princess." He said as he winked at me, "wait here by my car for me after school." He whispered in my ear as he lowered his head to reach my ear. I smiled at him and nodded. I heard one of Jason's friends yelling 'get a room.' Jason just chuckled and moved his head away from my face. Loudly, a motorcycle arrived next to the spot next to us (which happened to be the bike bay) with a boy in a leather jacket and black skinny jeans sat on it. The character took off his helmet and it revealed to be Zack. He put his helmet on his seat after he stepped off and stormed straight in my direction.
"You fucking touch her again Armstrong I dare you!!" He thundered at Jason. He went to hit him but I grabbed his arm.
"Zack no!! Let's talk about this please!!" Zack shot a scowl at me before turning back to Jason again.
"I swear to fucking god Armstrong, you lay another finger on her and I will personally kick your ass." Zack spat before grabbing my arm.
"Bye princess!" I heard Jason call. I whipped my head around and mouthed the words bye before I heard Zack growl at me.
"Don't look at him." He pulled me all the way to my locker before trapping me in the corner. He stared at me for a moment, I was unsure of what he was going to do. He was breathing extremely heavy and looked ready to implode.
"Why the fuck was he touching you?" He spoke through gritted teeth.
"It's okay Zack-"
"No it's not fucking okay!!" He roared as he punched the locker next to mine creating a massive dent in it. He clenched his jaw before sighing deeply.
"I'm sorry, but he shouldn't touch you."
"Zack for goodness sakes we are getting along again!" I screamed. Something I've been trying to tell him since he got off his motorcycle. His face went dead and was emotionless.
"Oh." He spoke disgustedly.
"Don't say it like that." I murmured.
"Say it like what? How else am I s'possed to say it? Huh?!? Like I'm happy for you?!? Id rather you dated a 40 year old man than him." He spat.
"I'm not talking about this now Zack. I'm going to find Amber." I said trying to push past him. He put his hand firmly in my way.
"She isn't coming in today, morning sickness."
"I'll go find Chris th-"
"With Amber."
"Matt?" I said hopefully.
"Doctors appointment." He said with confidence.
"That's a lie." I said.
"I want to talk about this."
"Well I don't." I said pushing past him. I wanted to go find Matt, but I'd have no clue where he'd be. So I just went up to my first class.
Luckily, on the way I bumped into Matt so was fortunate enough to walk with him. We strolled slowly to our first class on the intention of being late. When I got there I had the usual late lecture and me and Matt sat next to each other.
"I need to tell you something." Matt whispered at me. I looked at him and frowned.
"Why?"
"I just do." He said to me, it had to be really important other wise he would have waited until class was over.
"We... Um... We can't keep doing this anymore." He muttered looking at his hands.
"Doing what?" I laughed. He looked straight up at me.
"This." He said as he made a hand gesture towards me and then him.
"Oh, as in that." I whispered. "Why not?" I asked.
"Because it's not what friends do." He spoke with slight anger and irritation.
"That never stopped us before." I said to him. I placed my hand on his, only for him to react quickly by pulling away.
"But I'm stopping it now." He muttered. For some reason I felt upset, and slightly betrayed. It's not as if it was supposed to be anything, but we've shared and done a lot over the last few months.
"Oh. Okay." I whispered looking down at my work. I then decided to burry my head deep within my history work.
After class I went back to my locker only to hide away from Zack, I knew he wouldn't drop the subject from earlier and I didn't want to discuss it. I closed my locker and looked left and right. When I was certain no one was around I walked away from my locker. I was turning the corner when I remembered, after my next class I'll have to face Zack, him and Matt are my only friends at school currently. Unless I hung out with Jason. No, that's a stupid idea, I mean, Zack was already mad. If I wanted to make things worse, that was how to do it. I sighed as I began to walk up the 3 flights of stairs before I made it to English Literature. Interestingly enough, I remembered I sat next to Bennet in this class, the person I wasn't expecting to ignore me this morning but he did.
I arrived on time for once and took my seat, Bennet sat next to me shortly after.
"You ignored me this morning." I whispered at him. He didn't say anything he just stared blankly at the wall.
"Bennet? Why did you ignore me?" I whispered again. He bit his bottom lip but still not a sound emerged from his lips. A small fire lit behind his eyes and it sparked wildly as I spoke.
"Bennet? Please just say something to me." Nothing. "At least tell me what I did wrong." I said a little louder than before. He quickly picked up his bag and stormed out. I watched his back walk away. Everybody turned to me, then to him. I ran my fingers through my hair and buried my head in my hands lowly on the desk in the hope no one would notice me. Too late for that. The whole class was whispering about what just happened. Quietly, some turned to ask me why he left. I just shrugged. I don't know. Was it something I said or did? Is it because I was with Jason? Or Matt? Does he know something I don't? So many questions and not enough answers.