YGMHP~ Chapter 11-Scheduled Lunacy

Chapter 11

Remus knew something completely ludicrous was scheduled the second he read the invitation from James to meet at the Great Lake before dinner; the familiar P.S note of 'attire: formal and black' added at the bottom of the note.

It sounded extremely funeral related. Remus knew this couldn't be like the last occasion James - also togged up in black- had told him and the rest of the Marauders to gather at the lake for his public drowning, because James was dating Lily now. James had nothing to be suicidal about.

Heaving a sigh, Remus made his way across the Hogwarts grounds, loosening the black tie that was constricting his neck, and shuffling uncomfortably in the tattered black suit he was clearly not at ease wearing.

He spotted a small group assembled at the water's edge, prepared himself for the incoming lunacy he would undoubtedly receive, and approached the group.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Peter said, two baby fuchsia plants placed under either arm.

"Thanks for coming, mate." James patted him on the back, capturing him in a hug.

Yes, just as Remus had thought: scheduled lunacy.

Just as he was about to ask what on earth was going on, James spotted him and shook his hand vigorously, while Lily trailed behind him wearing a black hat with a peculiar patterned veil covering her face. Remus observed James' smart black suit and the odd dark glasses he was wearing. "You made it, Moony," James said, putting on a strained smile.

"Er…yes." Remus wondered why James was wearing glasses on such a gloomy day without sunlight. "What exactly is going-"

"Is everyone assembled, Mr. Potter?"

Remus followed the booming voice, discovering Sirius standing behind a podium…dressed as a priest. "No," he instantly dismissed, shaking his head. "No. Stop this. Stop this right now."

"Moony," James tugged on his sleeve, "Don't be so disrespectful. Now, take a seat."

Before Remus could voice his mystification, James plunked him down on the grass.

"Is everyone assembled, Mr. Potter?" Sirius asked again from behind his mighty podium. His long hair was tied in a ponytail to look more respectable, and in his mind; more priestish. Remus eyed his dog collar and held his head in his hands in despair.

"I think this is everyone," James referred to the party of four Marauders, and for some reason, Kingsley Shacklebolt who was standing to the side with his hands clasped, observing the grounds.

"Wait, Alice is coming." James spotted the girl making their way towards them. "Alice, you made it," he greeted her.

"Frank is sleeping," she said simply to explain her attendance. "If anyone asks, I'm at the dentist." She handed him a bouquet of flowers. "I'm sorry for your loss, James," she shot him a sympathetic look as she patted his shoulder, "I understand. I've been where you are now."

"I know," James replied faintly.

Alice sat down next to Peter on the grass; he was clutching his fuchsia plants to his chest whilst blubbering.

James turned to Sirius, "I think we're ready to start now."

Sirius nodded and coughed to clear his throat. He leaned on the podium, putting a most sincere look on his face. "We are gathered here today-"

"I'm sorry," Remus cut in loudly, standing to his feet. Everyone gasped at his bad-mannered interruption. "But just what is going on here exactly?" he demanded.