YGMHP~Chapter 15 - My Knife, Your Throat

Standing alone in the corridor -something Remus would have to get used to from now on, since leaving the Marauders- he stared at sign on the wall, his face falling. He hadn't spoken to either one of the boys since yesterday. He'd retired to the dormitory late last night, and found Sirius and Peter asleep, though Sirius' laboured breathing appeared awfully suspicious. When he had awoken in the morning, the dormitory was empty, no Sirius or Peter to be found. He told himself to be thankful that they were keeping out of his way, yet instead he felt a little...hurt.

"The Remus Lupin replacement auditions," he read aloud, following the arrow with his eyes. It leaded to the Head Tower, from what he guessed. Somehow, he assumed James and Lily would not be too pleased about that...

"How does it feel?"

Edgy -something Remus was a lot lately, due to the loss of his companions- he peeked behind his shoulder, spotting Georgina eyeing him with benevolence on her features, while she clasped her hands behind her back. Rather startled, Remus was at a loss of words on what to say, both confused about the actual question and why she was talking to him. He and Georgina didn't normally converse; in fact, they had never talked once in Hogwarts. It hadn't been out of rudeness, just the fact that they had never gotten an opportunity, being in separate houses and with opposite personas.

"Uh...I, um," he scratched his head, "er, hello Hot Georgina-" His eyes widened, realizing in horror what he had just called her. "Oh God, I mean, Georgie...I mean, Guh...Geor...hello," he ended awkwardly, made a small wave, and hid his face in his hands.

"Wow..." She nodded, impressed, but at the same time slightly gaping. "I don't think I've ever made anyone more uncomfortable."

"Trust me; it's not you. I'm a very awkward person."

Georgina strained a smile, before stepping in line with him, examining the sign on the wall. "So...how does it feel?" she tried the question again.

Remus held shifty eyes, still uncomfortable about the whole situation. "Erm...how does what feel?" he questioned.

Georgina tilted her head to the sign, looking sympathetic. "Being replaced," she said.

"You've been talking to Sirius, haven't you?"

She chose her next words carefully. "You could say that."

Remus sighed; dejectedly, Georgina noticed. "Well...I can't say I'm not surprised that they're substituting me...It was probably Sirius' idea...he always does mad stuff like that..." His gaze came across someone passing in the corridor; a boy in a sweater vest, holding a dictionary, a bar of chocolate, and reading glasses. Frowning, Remus put two and two together, watching the boy retreat down the corridor. "I really come across as that kind of person?" he said in disbelief, not addressing Georgina, but more himself. "I'm the bloke with the dictionary who likes chocolate?"

"I don't know you well enough to say you are that bloke," Georgina admitted. "You're a very mysterious person." Remus didn't know whether to take this as a compliment or not. "I don't think anyone knows anything about you beside the Marauders."

Remus was about to voice something, but held back, biting on his lip.

"You were about to say something but you held back," Georgina pointed out knowingly. "I think you do that a lot. Hold back from what's on your mind, I mean."

"I think it's all for the best, really," he blurted out with newfound assurance, "Me being out of the Marauders. I don't think...I don't think I really ever fitted in properly."

"You're speaking in past tense already?" Georgina enquired, looking sad.

"Sometimes I just felt like I was holding them back." Remus stared at the sign, as though it held all the answers. "You know, the guys would always be up for everything - Sirius and James more, of course. But Peter would always power off their energy. They'd always be up for pranks with such enthusiasm I just couldn't grasp. From time to time I'd get into the prank, secretly enjoying the feeling of being, well, alive; rebellious. But other times...I'd just feel like I was holding them back. Like I was the one always nagging them with the dangers, the faults of the prank, telling them not to do it or they'd get into trouble..." Remus heaved a sigh. "I hated myself for being like that, the spoilsport."