Chapter 11-Oho! Potoins with the Slug (Part One)

The next morning, James was not amused. Not only did he have Potions with an obese perverted professor, but his friends had been acting unusually edgy and kept their eyes on him at all times - which was mainly because they were worried that James would have a sudden spontaneous suicide attack. But James told them he was past that 'suicidal phase', as if he would try doing that again-

"James, back away from the window," Remus commanded.

James glowered, put his hands in the air and backed away.

"Good Prongsie," Sirius patted him on the head, and then dragged him to the middle of the corridor away from windows and any sharp objects.

"I was just admiring the scenery," James fibbed.

"I don't think you're supposed to stretch your head that far out of the window," Peter said. "Or put your leg out either."

The Marauders trudged along to the dungeons very unenthusiastically.

"Potions," Sirius said with a scowl. "God, how I hate Potions."

"She hates me," James said miserably, his mind totally focused on the girl with red hair who shall not be named because everyone knows who he's on about. "She hates-"

"Yeah, yeah," Sirius interrupted, waving a hand to dismiss any more miserable mutterings that were contagious. Sirius was not feeling his cheery self and Remus and Peter had faces full of displeasure. "We know, Prongs. Evans hates you, blah blah blah," he gestured a yapping hand, "We'll sort it out later. As I was saying: Potions...God, how I hate Potions."

Remus was a little confused at Sirius despising the subject. "What are you talking about, Padfoot? Slughorn likes you. He invites you to his dinners, which you don't attend by the way." His tone suggested annoyance in Sirius purposely ignoring the professor's persistent invitations.

"You know me, Moony," Sirius said, "Things to do...Friends to see..."

"You have other friends?" Peter questioned - a little hurt that Sirius possibly had a bigger social circle of companions.

James scoffed. "Padfoot's lying. He has no other friends except us. Everyone else finds him annoying."

Remus and James exchanged a look that said they both found Sirius annoying but were still his friend anyway.

"Well, I have opportunities of making much better friends," he stuck his tongue out boldly. "Anyway, I don't exactly like being in the 'Slug Club'." He made air quotes with distaste.

"Same here," James agreed, frowning at the name of the clique.

"You've never been to one of his suppers either," Remus pointed out.

"Much too busy with Quidditch practices." James made an athletic stretch to prove his point. Remus threw him a suspicious look at how James conveniently had Quidditch at the exact time and day of the Slug Club gatherings. "I dunno why you go, Moony. It must be boring surrounded by all those snobs and freakishly studious people."

"You must fit in with the latter though," Sirius added thoughtfully.

"I'm being sociable," Remus said, ignoring Sirius' comment. "The company's not too bad. Sometimes Lily comes-"

"Evans?" James said, his head snapping at the sound of her name. He grabbed Remus by the shoulders. "Why didn't you tell me she came?" He made a strangled cry. "If I'd have know she came, I would have come!"

"Sorry, James," Remus apologized, dusting off his shoulders. "I go because the suppers are interesting. Not because of the specific company."

"With company like The Slug, I don't blame you," Sirius said.