Issue #22: Convention...a Supernatural TLN Sequel

I worked the next three days in the clinic. Cleaning equipment, pinning down animals to get their shots, or personally give them myself. As hard as it sounded it was a job I actually enjoyed. I loved being able to pet the animals that tolerated me. Some animals though that didn’t like going to the vets anyways, really didn’t like me at all.

 I barely avoided getting bitten the third day. But I was in the middle of putting in a catheter when a St. Bernard whipped around and snapped at my fingers. I pulled my hand back with the needle and slid him off the table with the other. He plopped down and stared at me in surprise. The other veterinary assistants scorned me for pushing him off the table, but were glad that I had—otherwise they might have gotten bitten as well.

The St. Bernard was so spooked from falling the small three feet off the table he wasn’t much problem afterwards. Poor big brute was just scared that’s all.

I researched the book and it had its similarities of the alternate world where I was with Sam and Dean, they didn’t even mention their last names. His last book had sent Dean to hell, then no more publishing after that. Ugh! This is so frustrating. I couldn’t find a Chuck Shirley anywhere.

Sitting back in my chair I realized it was three in the morning…oops. I shrugged it off and jumped into bed, Isis curling into a ball alongside me, ready to keep me warm. I stroked her soft fur, she was so sweet sometimes. If any animals had actually grown closer to me since I became one with the daemon I’d have to say it was her.

Over a year ago I had to drag Isis around on a leash. She was disobedient and always a pain, but now she actually behaves herself, and I can take her on walks through the woods without a leash at all. I don’t think its just because she understands me more, I think its because I understand her more so. She didn’t like being dragged around on a leash or being told what to do, but we both compromised and realized that maybe if she listened she wouldn’t have to be on a leash so she could go on more walks with me.

I understood her feelings more and she understood me more. That’s what made us a team.

That night underneath the covers I dreamt a nightmare….

 A single rose fell upon the earth.

 Red eyes gleamed

 and blue with disdain.

 Sweat beaded my body as I found myself in the alley again. Crowley stood, smirking at me as I stood and swished my tail, blood dripping off my fangs.

 My legs trembled with exhaustion. It felt as if I had been fighting all of my life. I hated this man…this King of Hell. It was because of him that I had died.

The daemon felt my hate more than anyone and she snarled. The King of Hell grinned like a Cheshire cat, then the blade sunk into my back. My body swayed and collapsed, my soft fur dyed red in a pool of crimson. I shuddered as another shaken breath took me. But I did not die…and the pain didn’t stop.

Ringing filled my ears and I woke in instantaneous pain. My heart raced and my spine shuddered in memory. The ringing was my cellphone. I hit the talk button as I panted, “Hello?”

“I didn’t wake you, did I?” It was Breanna, her voice wide awake and alert as I was.

My back flared like coals and I gritted my teeth. “Well, I’m wide awake now. What was it?” Isis whined sitting alongside me as she began giving me licks. I didn’t want to be near anyone right at the moment though, so I got up off the bed. She sat there and cocked her head to the side.

“Well you know how the books really don’t make much profit or anything?”

 “Yea, what about it?”

 “Well apparently they’re holding a charity convention for it, trying to up the popularity of the book.” So that meant another trip I had to make.

 “Where is it?”

 “Its near Sandusky Ohio.”

 I sat back down in the bed, scratching Isis’s ear. “That’s great, when is it?”

“About a week from now.”

 I groaned in both pain and irritation. “Well at least I won’t have to put in any sick days. Do you think you’ll be able to come?”

 “Hell yea! I wanna see the author!” Out of my pain I was able to force out a grin. Breanna had read the first book that I had bought and I explained to her what happened. She thought it was a great story, I guess I would have thought the same thing if I hadn’t partially lived it.