Issue #7: Infatuation...a Supernatural TLN Sequel

I found my way to a hotel later that night. I sat in the lounge, typing away on the computer. I found all kinds of things, but it was ridiculously hard to find anything. Course that was the thing about the world wide web. You could find so many things it was hard to tell which was made up or not.

 I tried obituaries, anything. I found squat

I was so lost in research. They said something about thunderbirds and roc, but it was on Wikipedia so I doubted its references. I jumped out of my seat when I heard shattering. I turned, my instincts wired. It was the geeks they had chosen this hotel too.

I quickly looked away before they could meet my gaze. My eyes were glowing like embers, the adrenaline still streaming into my veins. No one could see my eyes like this. I covered my face in my hands.

“Are you okay?”

 I nodded, my eyes still covered, “Yeah, just tired I guess. You guys scared the crap out of me.” Calm down, I forced my heart rate to slow. After a few moments. I removed my hands from my face. It was the Indian looking guy. Well I supposed the more appropriate race was Native American.

“You know, for someone who doesn’t believe us, you certainly look into folk lore enough.” The shaggy looking guy peeked over my shoulder. Annoyed I slapped my laptop shut.

 “It’s not nice to eavesdrop you know.” I snarled. “Which one of you dropped the glass?”

 “Oh, that would be my brother Keith.” The tanner one answered. I turned to see a gorgeous man picking up the pieces of glass with his well-muscled body. Damn, I thought. His hair was short and jet black; his eyes were a chocolate brown.

“Sorry if I scared you,” He said lightly. “It was an accident.”
“It’s alright,” I said coolly. “I guess I’ll just be going up to my room.”

“Have a nice night,” Keith said.

“Sure,” I grinned like an idiot, “You too.”

I walked back upstairs. To my room thinking, what was wrong with me? I wasn’t like that around Sam and Dean and I loved them.

I sighed, No you didn’t, I forced to tell myself. You had an infatuation, nothing more. Infatuation was what got you killed, not love. Crowley killed you because you helped the Winchesters, because you liked them not love—

My phone went off. I picked it up in annoyance. “Hello?”

“Hope, Oh My God you’re alive.” It was Breanna on the other line.

I answered blandly, “Yeah, and?”

“You jerk!!” She hissed, “You told me you’d call!” I sighed, what was the point of having an awesome non-biological sister if she was just going to yell at you?

 “I’m sorry alright,” I grumbled aggravated, “I got to the hotel late last night, and I was so exhausted I forgot.”

“Your forgiven,” She said lightly, sometimes she just liked giving me hell, “So, what’s going on in Grayling?”

“I’m not really sure, a bunch of birds are dying, and some guy said the deaths are all approximately 13 miles apart. The DNR guy I was talking to said it was lightning.”

“Oh, DNR guy huh? Now is he cute and sexy or old and ugly?”

“Jez,” I laughed, “Being rude to the old people much?”

She laughed. “Well?”

“Well,” I smiled, “He’s like, mid-twenties by the looks of him.”

 “See?” I could almost imagine Breanna smiling as she said pleasantly. “That’s legal, you’re eighteen anyways.”

I rolled my eyes, “Okay Breanna, that’s what I came for. Find some dead birds, figure out what’s going on in this place, and find a love interest.”

“Why not?” She snorted, “You haven’t had a boyfriend since like, two years ago.”

“Not true!” I snapped without thinking about it. “I dated last summer,” Where did that come from? Crap.

“What!!? You never told me! What happened, do I know him?”

I wanted to smack myself for being so honest, “Well, it doesn’t matter, ‘cause it obviously didn’t work out.” Between either of them. I thought bitterly.

“Was it you or him?” Breanna asked quietly, wanting to know why we broke up.

I paused, “It was me,” She could hear the sadness in my voice. It certainly wasn't their fault that I got stabbed by Crowley. Not the way I looked at it, I should have seen it coming, especially from the look in his eyes before he did it. Utter hatred and resentment.

 “Oh,” She said softly, the line went quiet.

 “You still there?” I asked bitterly.

 “Yeah,”

“Well, I’m gonna have to let you go okay? If you could find anything at all on birds or 13 miles or something, that’d be great.” I said then added, “You don’t have to unless you want to.”

  “No,” She answered, “I’ll look it up tomorrow.”

 “Okay, see ya later.”

The line went dead. I hated myself for being such a jerk to her, but she really hit a nerve, telling me I hadn’t dated in forever. I shook my head and went to take a shower. After that I laid down in the bed. Oh well, I had other things to worry about.