Issue #6: Welcome to Grayling...a Supernatural TLN Sequel

Carol’s Diner was a little cabin pub. I stepped inside to have a bear staring at me. I jumped back, swearing after I saw it was taxidermy. I was a fool to be so jumpy sometimes.

Shaking my head, I stepped deeper inside, tons of taxidermy was everywhere. Skunks, deer, antler chandeliers, and even wolves were stuffed and put up as decoration. My eyes locked on the wolf who had its head tipped back and its left front paw curled back. It was so sad and beautiful.

A mid-aged woman stood at the bar. She had dark brown hair and eyes, “Is there anything I can get you?”

 “Sure,” I replied uneasily, “What kind of drinks do you have?”

 “Pepsi and A&W products. My guess is you’re not 21 right?”

“That’d be correct. I’ll take a Mountain Dew, then.” She took a can out of the fridge and sat it in front of me. In a way I was glad that it didn’t come in a glass. I thought the guy said they had good food here, but just by walking in I was afraid of what I might be eating. I thought the deer antler chandelier was cool, but all of the stuffed animals were really freaking me out.

 “So, what brings you to Grayling?” She said, pretending to be interested, probably for a tip.

 “Just came up for the scenery.” I said briefly taking a sip.

 “Well, you’re gonna get a lot of that here, with all of the road kill and all.” The woman scoffed. “What do you think of it?”

She was talking about the birds, “Not sure yet,” I answered truthfully, “Some DNR guy said that it was just lightning.”

She tapped her fingers on the table, “Bull, there’s something more than that going on here.”

 I leaned forward with interest. “Like what?”

She shook her head, “Well, you know how the legends are around here, filled with all kinds of folklore.” I nodded, I wondered what I could get if I researched the area.

“Is there a library near here, or a place with Wi-Fi?” She nodded.

“Yea, there’s a motel 6 just down the road.”

I threw a tip down on the table. “Kay, thanks.”