Issue #10: Silver...a Supernatural TLN Sequel

Thunder rumbled in the distance of where I parked my car. Crap, would it ever stop storming? I shook my head and sat in the car for a moment. The lights were off and the moon reflected off the oldmobile’s solid black body. What could I say? I loved my car, it wasn’t an impala, but it was still pretty sweet.

As I stepped outside of my car, I wondered why the beast would just kill an officer like that. The monster didn't ever eat the victims. A chilling thought occured, what if the man just stumbled upon something he shouldn't have? I shuddered at the thought and grabbed the duffle and iron bar in hand. I took off into the woods, grateful for hiking boots and jeans.

Rain began to fall, crickets chirped and I could hear wing beats in the canopy of the trees. I loved the outdoors. The only things I didn’t necessarily appreciate were the bears or cougars in it.

 The rain fell softly, I could smell dampness of the leaves as the water trickled down the sides. I threw my hoodie up, then became aware I wasn't alone.

I heard shuffling behind me. Under the moonlight I could see the silhouettes of two other people in front of me up ahead. The daemon advised of what to do. I whipped around, to see a tall man behind me, I kicked his groin. He collapsed with a curse. The other two were on top of me now. One of them had a gun.

People always say to fight fair, tell that to the three guys with the 45’ pistol.

Still, I had an advantage, I could see well at night. I lunged out of the way, the moment the trigger was pulled. I tumbled into some bushes, brambles cutting my arms and legs. I picked myself back up, stumbling.

I dragged myself behind a tree, clenching my bicep tightly. It stung like fire.

That was the thing about bullets, they always had a little bit of silver in them.

Damn, I could feel the hot blood running down my arm.

 “Come on out little wolf,” The gruff man spoke. I shuddered. This was a trap, but how? They had been stalking me the whole time, but how did they know I wasn’t human? I hid my identity pretty well out into the public. The only time I wasn’t careful was at the hotel but how’d they know about it. I remembered the men at the Diner, a gun in the one's belt. “We’ve followed you, we know you’re alone.”

The daemon in me reminded me I wasn’t on my own.  “Wrong,” I snarled. I jumped out behind the tree and began running. God, I need a gun. I realized God and me aren’t on the best of terms so immediately I began swearing.

“Come on Balthazar you bast*rd!” I snapped quietly in the darkness. “You owe me! Do something!”

I heard a bullet dig into a tree behind me in splinters. That one had missed me, now that was more like it. I took the iron bar in my good hand. I jumped behind a tree again. One of the men ran past me. Whack! The man collapsed to the ground.

I gripped my arm, come on! I prayed to Balthazar. Give me a freakin’ miracle here!

A man in a flannel coat pointed a gun at me. I gulped. We were in point blank range. The world stopped it was only me and him. I closed my eyes tightly. The daemon in me came forward. She took control of my body, throwing the man against a tree. With a snarl she crouched over him, her body now shifted to the russet wolf. In panic the man’s eyes rolled and he passed out.

 Now all was quiet again, the rain pattering against the daemons soft golden coat. I was a part of her, and felt the hot pain searing down my front leg. She limped along in the dense forest, back the way we came.

At the edge of the clearing she withdrew and I was in human form again. I stumbled back to my car and turned the ignition. The car roared to life and I drove slowly away, not knowing where I was going to go, or how I would get there.

After finding a safe place to park I turned on the light in my car. Taking my pocket knife I tore the sleeve open on my shirt. Blood gushed everywhere. I grasped the first aid kit in one hand and a cotton swab in the other. I touched it in pain, the bullet was still in there, like a nasty tumor in my body. I pulled out the tweezers, oh this was going to hurt like hell.

The thing was I was vunerable to silver, which could have easily led to the mistake of them thinking I was a wolf. In a sense I was, but not because the correct title was Interloper. So I had to coat every needle, every pair of tweezers in paint. Sure I risked chemical poisoning, but without it I risked burning myself from the inside out.

I shuddered as the tweezers buried beneath my skin, grasping the bullet, which luckily wasn’t in very deep. I tried to pull it out, but the tweezers slipped and the bullet stayed. Tears filled my eyes, I gasped in pain, putting the tweezers in further. It gripped it again and I pulled. I heard a clink on my car’s floor. I was dizzy, the tweezers clattered onto the floor as I lost consciousness.

 A figure opened the car door. Hope’s body slid out, caught by darkened hands. Carter picked her up and put her into the passenger seat. The aurora revved and pulled away.