Issue #32: Fight the Good Fight...a Supernatural TLN Sequel

I had taken two Tylenol attempting to fight the pounding migraine. It felt as if someone was sitting on my head. I took a sip of water and waited on the edge of the yellow tape. We were back at the crime scene, a group had found her. I found Carver Edlund standing on the edge of the trees, talking to a cop. His eyes met mine and hardened.

The cop nodded and flipped his book shut, dismissing the author. Carver strode across the clearing and came to me.

“We’ll talk later.” I answered before he could even speak.

“So did you—”

I shook my head, “Of course I didn’t.”

“So whats all happened today?” I asked

“The boyfriends taking it hard.” Carver said motioning to a guy in a batman t-shirt sobbing on a log.

“Wow, that’s her boyfriend. She was a bit out of his league.” Steve stated, popping up out of nowhere. “Wish I could get that lucky.” Our eyes met and I rolled mine.

Breanna was already coming to sit down next to the sobbing boyfriend. He blew his nose violently into his sleeve. Breanna wrinkled her nose and patted him sympathetically on the back.

 “What happened.?”

“They’re saying it was a bear attack.” He sobbed, “I can’t believe it.”

Breanna gave me a look that said, I cant believe they thought it was a bear attack either. 

I glanced up to the crime scene and saw a body bag getting zipped shut, there was nothing left to do, no reason for them to examine the body, they thought they knew what had happened.

“We’d have been together ten years you know?” He sighed, wiping his eyes, it’s so crazy.

 I could feel the daemon inside me stir, ten years….why did that sound so familiar?

“She was really pretty before you know, but she had been a little heavier, I didn’t mind…” Jeremy sniffed. “But after we started dating she lost a lot of weight, and I had to give her credit for her determination, she would do anything for me.”

My adrenaline spiked. “Oh hell,” I breathed and walked away, Breanna giving me a funny look as I walked towards Carver Edlund.

His eyes fell on mine, “Hey,” I muttered deep under my breath. “Is it possible to sell your soul to alter physical appearance?”

“Yea,” He said and looked from the body bag to me. “You don’t think—”

“Their ten year anniversary of dating was today, and she was heavier before they started dating.”

Carver looked at me in shock, “Would anyone seriously do that?”

“Some will do anything to find a short cut.” I answered, “She probably thought this was hers, plus she could get the man she wanted.”

“That’s insane.” Steve replied, listening in to the conversation.

 Paul stared curiously at me. “Are women really that self-conscious?”

 “Yea,” I grumbled, “especially when guys stare at you like you’re going to tear them apart.” He stared embarrassed in another direction.

“So there’s not really anything you can do can you?” Steve replied, “Once they’ve made a deal, its done.”

“Yep. I don’t think her boyfriend even knew.” I said, staring sympathetically at him, “He seemed to had loved her no matter what she looked like.”