Chapter 52: Camryn's First Birthday

BRANDON'S POV

"Brandon?" Alex said, walking into the living room.

"Yes?" I asked, watching Camryn crawl around the room.

"Do you think something's wrong with her...you know, physically?" She asked, pointing at Camryn.

"What? Why?"

"Well, everything I've seen, she's supposed to be walking by eleven months and she's almost a year."

"Alex." I said, wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling her onto my lap. "Look, you made me read all those things too, and it says she's supposed to be walking between eleven and fourteen months. She has time, just calm down, okay?" I said, kissing her cheek.

"Okay." She said, laying her head on my chest. Camryn crawled over to the couch and gripped onto it, using all of her strength to pull herself to her feet. "Brandon! Look, look."

"Shh." I said, stroking her hair and watching my daughter. With the help of the couch she was able to stand on her feet, but was still wobbly. She let go of the couch and tried to take a step but fell to her butt and began wailing.

"Oh, baby!" Alex cooed, rushing over to Camryn and picking her up, holding her close. "Don't worry, mommy's here." She said, sititng on the floor and rocking Camryn.

"Alex, she's fine." Alex just glared at me and I held my hands up in surrender. She finally got Camryn to stop crying and got back on the couch, sitting next to me with Camryn in her arms.

"Brandon." She said, looking over at me. "I've been thinking about, you know, Camryn's first birthday. And I think we should do something special for it."

"Like, what do you mean?"

"I mean like, have a huge birthday party! Brandon, she only turns one once!"

"I know, but she's one years old for God sakes. Don't you think some huge, expensive birthday party will be the same as a small party at my parent's house with just friend's and family?"

"But Brandon, I want to make it special!"

"And it will be special! Alex, almost all of my birthday parties and my sister's were at the house with friends and family, I know damn well you and Vic had it the same."

"But I want her to have a better life than I did."

"Alex, now you're just talking crazy. You had a fucking good life, I had a fucking good life, we're giving our daughter a good life. Look, you know we're low on money and we're saving up to try to get a house. We could get a house a lot quicker if we didn't have to spend a shit load of money on a huge party for a one year old! The way I see it, we just buy her a couple presents, get a couple decorations and that's all. You want an actual house, don't you?" She nodded. "Then let's just take it easy for this party. We can go all out for like her tenth or thirteenth or even her sixteenth."

"Okay." She sighed. I leaned over and pecked her lips. 

"I love you."

"I love you too." She said, resting her head on my shoulder. The next day, I decided to call my parents and talk to them about Camryn's party.

"Hey mom, I figured since Camryn's first birthday is coming up, we could maybe have it over there? Just a small little birthday party with family and friends. I mean, she is only turning one after all."

"That sounds great Brandon!" She exclaimed.

"Okay, awesome. I guess you can talk to Alex whenever to plan it out cause I had to fight with her to not have a huge birthday party."