Chapter 1. Strangers

I knew him. He knew me. But we were strangers. He was quiet and kept to himself. I was loud and knew everybody's drama. He was alone. I was surrounded. He offers gentle smiles to me in which I return. I notice how he only smiles at me. Most likely because everyone else feels too awkward to even look him in the eyes anymore. Not after last summer.
It would have been two years until we left school for good. That year had been great and everyone topped it all off with a summer to never forget. He was loud then, he knew everyone then, he had more friends than anyone then. But 3 days before we were due to go back to school, his parents died instantly in a car accident, his sister was in a coma for 2 weeks before she died. He wasn't in the car. He was waiting to get picked up from the football field. He walked home that day.
After that he began to to lose people on purpose. He stopped caring for everyone including himself. He built a wall with a wall behind it. He finally let it down for one person and they betrayed his trust. He then vowed to never let his walls down again and build them higher if he could. I have watched him in English Literature lessons and watch his pen twitch back and forth. He studied hard but never rose his hand. He knew the answer. He refused to say it. When finished with the tasks, which he does before everyone, he sits at his desk in the back drawing by himself. He only knows my name and my English Literature grade. It wasn't until our last year that we stopped smiling at each other in the corridor and actually made conversation. That day was a cold, rainy, September day.
I stepped outside in my legging and knee high boots. I hugged my leather jacket tighter over my torso and T-Shirt that was black and read in navy blue 'stars are only visible in darkness.' My black and red scarf blue in the wind. I plugged my headphones in and walked across the road. I walked for another 20 minutes until I reached the main reception of my school building. As I was late, I walked up to the lady behind the desk who wore a lime green top with a white cardigan, a black skirt and knee high pink and blue socks. Not my first choice but what ever floats your gravy boat. She drew in a long breath picked up a black pen and reached over to a set of draws. She pulled out a late form.
"Name?"
"Ellen Mitchell."
"Reason?"
"Forgot an umbrella so I went back to get one." The lady nodded and I signed the paper before proceeding to my English class. I was already late and no teachers were around to stop me so I waited around for the lift. I strolled down the English corridor and before I even reached my room I could here Miss o' Neil screeching at everyone. I knocked on the pale orange door twice before stepping in.
"No Karen get off the desk! Ah! Miss Mitchell, I wondered when you would show up, why are you so late?"
"Well, I was out for a walk and I stumbled upon a wise old elf that wasn't so wise." Miss did not look amused, "we had a marvellous conversation about the meaning of life, but of course in this modern day society you aren't allowed to have different opinions. I had a separate opinion to this not so wise elf and so he told me to go to hell. At first I thought, how on earth am I going to get to hell. Then I thought I know a place just as bad as hell, so here I am." I smirked at miss who just tutted at me. The class laughed before miss gave them an evil glare. It didn't stop some however, she never could control our class that well. We do our work, but it's still fun to not do it.
"Amusing Miss Mitchell, really, now please take a seat next to Master Peters over there." She directed me to the back. There was a desk with a boy sat at it and an empty chair next to him. He had his head down and was twitching his pen back and forth. His hair was messy and he had a black hoodie on. His tight jeans clung to his legs and his black shoes were stuck flat on the ground. At the sound of his name however he lifted his head. He looked at me dead in the eye but said nothing.
I wandered over to the desk and slumped my black bag with golden studs on it onto the desk. I smiled over at him and he smiled back.
"Hello Miss Mitchell, Ellen isn't it?"
"Please call me Ell, master?"
"Bennet. Please call me Ben." We smiled at each other because we knew each other, but we haven't spoken in so long it was like I needed to formally reintroduce myself to him. I got my pen out my bag and my English book before putting my bag back on the desk. I turned to a clean page and wrote the date.
"Do you have a pen I could borrow?" A boy in front of me asked. I shook my head. I did have a pen, but I don't really like to share what's mine. Object, person or quote. If it's mine, it's mine and you don't touch it, talk to it (providing it's a person) or use it. I'm not that much of an overly obsessed person but it's still mine. I leaned my head against my hand and tried to be involved in the lecture as much as possible. It's just English is really boring and Miss is annoying and Bennet didn't really say anything. This class is going to end me.