Chapter3:Arkham Asylum

¤

Harleen and I had separated when we reached college. They left Gotham and moved to Paris to continue her studies there. Since that time, our communication to each other was gone.

Taking all my stuff, I took one glance of myself in the mirror then I went out.

As I'm driving, I put on my headset and play some music, and the dream last night, suddenly popped up on my head.

In my dream, I was walking in a place probably, Gotham City. The thickening clouds blocked the sun. The once-mild breeze began to blow harder; making me to hug myself. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning flashed across the sky, followed by a roll of thunder. I jolted in my position, planning to get home immediately because of the upcoming rain. Walking, a purple car stumbled in my front, making me to stop but my heart started beating so fast when I shortsigthed a man whose hair was green and had a bleached face; those features were very familiar as well as the tension that started to crawl.

I stepped backward-- slowly as my eyes darted in his. He was smiling at me, but the curve across his lips horrified me.

I'm dead. I was in the act of running when in a quick motion, someone grabbed me on my arm and everything was so fast; I found out that my back was leaning against the concrete wall of a building.

"Let me go!"

The Joker chuckled, then he drew his face so closed to me that made me to turn my head to my side, shutting my eyes. His growls filled my ears and the way he exhaled his minty air onto me, its warmth was making my hairs on my nape to rise up.

"Now I see," he began; his voice was raspy-deep. "This beautiful woman's afraid of me. . . look at me."

I didn't know but I did what he had said. I slowly tilted my head toward him, meeting his icy eyes. Struck by his whiteness, I couldn't move, even to say anything. My tongue shrunk back when he grabbed his knife, pointing it at me.

"This looks needed." He chuckled maniacally. "You are beautiful but you aren't smiling . . . let's put some curves on your, probably soft lips so that I can have a chance to see you smiling at me."

My eyes widened as he started to place the knife on the corner of my mouth. He was in the act of cutting it when my alarm clock made a loud noise, waking me up.

Wheels screeched as I stepped on the brake, seeing the arch of Arkham Asylum beyond the trees. Passing through the path, the road started to become a concrete ground with tollgates.

When I reached the big gate, from there, I saw Harleen waiting and smiling at me. Then the metal fence parted, giving me my way to enter without the guards queries.

As we were walking inside, I roamed my own eyes, witnessing how secured and somber this place was. Despite of that, it's funny to say that Joker could still escape and elude those securities.

As we reached her office that was actually located in second floor, I took my seat while she's getting us some drinks from her mini refrigerator.

"You have comfortable office." I said, wandering my eyes in ever corners of her office. It's not that huge but it's quite comfortable. The walls were not aching my sight because it was painted in caramel color and the scent, was so fragrant just like a rose petals.

"I'll take that as a compliment," she said when she handed me the glass of apple juice. Then she sat down across me, smiling. "So, how's your life?"

I took a sip before answering her. "Well, my life is so simple. Guess what? I have already a band."

"Geez, I know what you truly like," she chirped with a wide smile, "are you contented with that?"

"What do you mean?"

"I know, it'll become so quick but I will ask you if you want to apply here as a doctor."

I was thrown is surprise, almost dropping the glass of juice.

"Hey?" She waved her hand in my front.

Blinking rapidly,  I turned my head away. Then I spotted a picture frame of her and. . . her boyfriend.

"I'm engage."

"Congrats, girl."

"How about you?"

"What about me?" I asked as I wrinkled my forehead.

Then she giggled. "Boyfriend, something like that."

"Never mind," I rolled my eyes while smiling at her. "I don't have time about that."

"Really?" she teased, "I don't believe you. Well, you'll never know, maybe your partner is only sitting next to you."

"When I met him, I won't let him go."

"That's a great idea, honey." Her back plumped against the sofa. "Back to our topic, do you want to be a doctor here?"

I cleared my throat then I put down my drinking glass on the round --coffee table. "It's too quick girl, I just. . . I just don't know."

" Ya, I understand you," she stated as she slowly swirled her drink through an ice cubes in it. "But I think, this job will fit you the most. I'm not saying that your singing career isn't fit with you, but I'm just trying to remind you that you have a potential. Arkham needs you. . . Those inmates, need someone like you, Hayley."

-------------------------------------------------------------