Chapter 9

I took a look at my phone to see who it was and I was a little bit surprise that it was Ponyo.

“Why are you still up?” She asked.

“What you’re checking up on me now?”

“Nooo, I was just wondering.”

“Mmm, so what’s up with the late night call?” I asked her.

“I don’t know, I was just bored and started calling people and you happen to answer.”

“How many people have you called?”

“Just you!”

“So I was your first call.” Sounding all cocky.

“Yes you are!”

“That’s good to know.”

“You still haven’t answered my question yet.” She said.

“Oh cause I just got home awhile ago, I was spending time with a close friend who I ran into today.” I told her a little fib just to see if I can get a reaction from her.

“Was it that girl in the café that you ran into?” She asked.

Scored! Wow I did get a reaction. I was giggling on the inside, wondering why did she cared if it was her.

“So was it her!” She asked again.

I didn’t know if I should continue with this little fib of mine also I didn’t want to start this friendship off with a lie so I guess I’m not.

“No it wasn’t her, I was with Sam. She took me to dinner.” I tell her.

I could hear her sighs with a sound of relief, which was a little bit weird.

“Oh that’s nice of her.”

“Okay now it’s my turn why did you really call me?” I asked her.

“Nothing!”

“I don’t believe you!” I tell her.

We stayed up pretty late talking about anything that pop into our heads from shoes to TV shows. I could tell that she was starting to fall asleep on me but she didn’t want to hang up yet. I really wanted to know her reason for calling me but she wouldn’t give it up but at the same time I wanted her to get enough sleep because we both have school in the morning.

“Well since you don’t want to tell me the real reason why you called I’m just going to have to bug you at school late on but for now I’m going to let you go and get some sleep.”

“Whatt! You’re going to hang up on me?”

“Nooo I didn’t say that. I said I was going to let you get some sleep for now since we both have school in the morning. That didn’t sound like I was going to hang up on you. Plus that would be rude of me and I’m not rude, not at all.”

“But I don’t want you to go.”

“Why not!” I asked her.

“I don’t know, just stay on the line. We don’t even have to talk, all I want is to know that you’re there.”

“That works.” I tell her.

It felt weird knowing that she was on the phone with me and that we weren’t talking. All I could hear is her breathing but the weird thing is that it felt really great knowing that she was on the other side and just waiting for her to fall asleep. While we’re on the phone I had one of the craziest idea I even had. I stood up from my bed and grab my ukulele that was on my computer desk.

“Kyliee you still there and awake?” I asked her.

“Yes I’m still here and awake.”

“Good, now don’t laugh from what I’m about to do okay. You promise?”

“Yes cross my heart.” She said.

I don’t know what made me do it but I started playing and singing.

Missing your face and your touch

Missing your kiss and your love

Missing every little bit and a piece of you

Baby would you meet me halfway cuz I'm down for you

OOO the many things that I would do

Just to feel you, hold you

Girl it's so hard not to have you here

You're probably sitting, like me

Missing you baby ooo wee

Promise to listen before you sleep

Cuz when I'm staring at the stars

Looking at the moon wishing that I

Could be there with you

It's okay, and it's alright

Just listen to this lullaby

Good night, sleep tight

Dream away with me tonight

Yeah we could sit on the phone

Bust an all-nighter til the early morning

It's still not the same when you're far away

Hearing your voice, I got no choice

It's the only way for me to feel closer

I guess til then, just listen

Cuz when I'm staring at the stars

Looking at the moon wishing that I

Could be there with you

It's okay, and it's alright

Just listen to this lullaby

Good night, sleep tight

Dream away with me tonight

Goodnight Ponyo.