Chapter 21

Fix a heart

Chapter 21

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." -Albert Camus

Blair's POV:

I sit at the front counter of the bakery, tapping my fingers against the counter boredlly. It's been three days since Harry had found out that his friends will still come see him, and there's two days until they come. And Harry insists on me meeting them.

I listen to the light murmurs that come from the Telly in the corner of the small shop. Barely anybody has come in today, and I'm supposed to lock up tonight.

I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, digging it out to see a call from Sadie. I happily answer, not having talked to her for two days.

"Hey Sadie!" I answer quickly.

I hear her familiar giggle from the other line, "Hey babe." She jokes.

"Hows San Fran?" I ask. She had gone to visit her parents.

"Boring as hell." She laughs.

I pick at the chipped counter top, "Well I want you to hurry up and get back here, I need girl time." I complain.

I haven't hung out with Harry since three days ago, just a few texts back and forth is all. It's still weird to think that I could sort of call him a friend. Or at least something in that category.

"What have you been spending all your time with Harry?" She questions me. I could basically hear the smirk in her voice.

"No Sadie." I laugh.

"Just friends remember? Or maybe not even that, how about just acquaintances? Yeah." I add.

"Sure Blair, just tell me you like him already. Or better yet tell him so you guys can- oh my gosh you guys would be so cute together!" Sadie gushes.

I roll my eyes, wanting to burst into laughter even at the thought. Like Harry can ever love a girl. I think he honestly doesn't want to, I think he likes being single. So he can do, see, and be with any girl he wants. But like I would ever like him. I just...don't hate him anymore. That's all.

"Don't roll your eyes at me, you know it's true." Sadie mumbles.

I smirk at the thought that she knows me so well.

"Not really, the thought makes me want to puke. Just totally revolting." I exaggerate.

Sadie laughs, "Anyways, I get to come home in two days, maybe four. Who knows. My parents are totally dragging me around with them everywhere. I'm hiding out in the resteraunts bathroom right now." She sighs.

"Just crawl out the window." I smile, even though I know she can't see it.

I stand from my stool, wandering to the back of the diner to the kitchen.

"I don't think my ass would fit. It's pretty small." She plays along.

I look at the kitchen sink, the dishes that I have to do at some point before closing time; which is now mocking me.

"Well squeeze through and come back to help me do these dishes at work." I sigh.

"Why don't you have your lover boy come help you? And you can let him have his way with you in the kit-"

"Sadie shut up." I laugh loudly.

Her laughing dies down into breathy giggles, my cheeks red.

"We haven't talked in over two days anyways, just a few texts." I shrug.

I hear the bell of the diner door chime, signaling that someone had walked in.

Before Sadie can answer me I tell her to hold on, taking the phone away from my ear.

I open the kitchen door a crack so the person who had came in would be able to hear me, "Were closed! Sorry!" I inform them. I wait for an answer, my eyebrows crossing as I hear a familiar face.

"What if its just for a quick coffee run?" I hear his voice call back.

I peek my head out to see Harry at the front counter. A small smile appears on my lips as I let the kitchen door swing closed, putting my phone back to my ear.

"Speaking of Harry. He's hear." I tell Sadie.

I wonder if she had stopped breathing. Sometimes she makes it seem like she's desperate for us to date.

"Go get him." Is all she says before I hear the dial tone.

I sigh, shoving my phone into my apron pocket.

"Hey Harry, you can come back here." I say as I open the kitchen door.

I watch as he walks behind the counter, giving me a smirk as he saunters through the kitchen door that I hold open for him.

"What are you here for?" I ask.

"I was bored." He shrugs.

I laugh, wondering over to the sink.

"Well if watching me do dishes is going to entertain you, feel free to stay." I tell him, turning on the water.

I start to scrub the dishes, not wanting to do this at all. I smile as I turn to Harry, seeing him grab a plate that I had washed. He picks up a towel, drying it off.

"Thanks." I murmur, looking back down into the sink.

We sit in silence for a while, washing the dishes. That's until Harry speaks up.

"I came to say thanks, Blair." He says.

I turn the tap off after rinsing off the last dish, handing it over to Harrys large hands so it can be dried.

"For what?" I question.

He sets the plate down, leaning against the counter to face me.

"For finding me when I was a bloody mess that night. I don't know what I would've done if you didn't, and I might have taken some girl home, waking up to find the girl that I didn't even know the name to drunk next to me. Or even worse already gone." He mumbles.

He looks up to me as I don't reply to him, "I've been trying to stop Blair. I never liked that side of me. The part where I just slept around with random girls, it sometimes disgusted me. Women shouldn't be used like that." He tells me, sounding more like he's taking to himself.

As he starts to speak again I softly hop onto the counter next to him, letting him tell me what he's thinking because it seems like it needs to be released from his system.

"I don't think that I realized until now...that waking up alone is what hurt the most. To know that they only slept with me for maybe my title, my looks. But I can't say it was different for me because I was just looking for a good time. And Blair, when I did wake up with the girl still there...she would either instantly leave when she woke up, or she would be gone after I took a shower." He rushes.

I don't think I've seen this much vulnerability in his eyes before. And that's what makes me reach up to rest my hand on his back.

"I bet you think I'm some womanizer I know, and I admit that I used to be." He tells me.

"But I'm not anymore." He whispers.

When I see his eyes flick down to my lips I look away from him, letting my hand drop from his back. He sighs.

"I did think you were." I say quietly.

"But you just proved me wrong. I thought that you couldn't care for a girl honestly. Of all the years going to school you had all these girls clinging to you, and I know you didn't love any of them." I say.

"But that was before." He mumbles.

"You have changed Harry, and I'm being honest." I inform him.

I see a smirk spread across his lips, things falling silent for a minute or two.

"Harry can I be honest with you?" I ask.

He instantly looks up to me, "Yeah."

I blow air out from my cheeks.

I wriggle my finger.

Next, I bite my lip.

"I've never had a boyfriend before." I sigh.

His smile grows wider, "Don't make fun of me." I groan pleadingly.

"I'm not." He murmurs, that silly smile still plastered on his face.

"Forget I told you." I laugh, my cheeks red.

I don't know if he's making fun of me or not, but I'm certainly embarrassed.

"Blair I'm not making fun of you." He chuckles, taking a hold of my arm to keep me from hopping off the counter.

I sigh, "It's just..." I shake my head, my shyness taking over completely as I think of my first kiss with Harry.

"It's just what?" He laughs.

"I- you..." I trail off.

He nudges my side, making me shift to the side.

"I wanted my first kiss to be real." I murmur.

"That was real." He says back.

"It was not, just forget I said anything." I laugh, hopping off the counter this time.

"Wait, Blair." Harry says, taking a hold of my wrist.

I turn back to him, his face in complete seriousness.

"Why don't we retry that first kiss?"

-----------

Authors note: Oooooh cliff hanger...(;

Well this got to over 10,000 reads and over 400 votes and I'm so happy!:)

Help me get to 12,000 reads and maybe 600 votes? I would love you forever if you tell people about this story!

Tell me what you think, and VOTE!

If you want Harry and Blair together comment 'Blairry' :) Hehe that's their ship name!:)